Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysterious '.DS' files appear

Quite suddenly, files called '.DS_Store' have started appearing in various folders! They get updated, too, but there does not seem to be anything in them. What is this all about, and how can I stop it?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 3:18 AM

3 replies

Jan 7, 2014 10:43 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks very much for that link, QuickTimeKirk. Why the .,DS files suddenly became visible I am not sure. Though I had been tinkering with Finder preferences and Terminal commands to try to make Finder and Spotlight find some kinds of file that they do not like by nature, I did not do anything as far as I can see to make invisibles visible.

I hope I am right in assuming that by using the command 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE && killall Finder' to make the .DS files invisible again, I have not done something else awful! I also deleted one or two of the .DS files before deciding to ask for help here.

Mysterious '.DS' files appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.