Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommendation Home Server

Hi,

I've searched now quite some time for a solution for what I want but I can't find it so far. So let me describe what I like first. Maybe someone has a starting point or recommendation for me.

I like to have a central storage point (CSP) accessable via WiFi for my big file collections: iTunes library, Aperture/iPhoto library, Backup, etc.

The iTunes library I want to access via my Mac, iPhone, iPad,... I would like to be able to stream the content to AirPlay compatible Hardware (Speakers, TV, ...). Example 1: Grab my iPad, go to the Music App, look under shared libraries, pick the one on my CSP and tell it to stream it on my iPad. Example 2: Grab my iPad, go to the remote App, select my CSP library and tell it to stream the music to some AirPlay speaker.

Additionaly, I like the CSP to serve as a router. Means: It is the one that provides the WiFi and there is no need for an additional device.

I would also like to be able to access it via VPN/DNS so that I can use the CSP as a personal Cloud, always accessible from anywhere.

What I have found: I could use MacMiniServer. But this is energy consuming and a complete overshoot in my eyes. I do not want an additional computer... Then there is the Synology DS213 Air, which comes closest I think. But I am not sure if the library sharing works as I want it (it doesn't a couple of months ago but maybe it is able to now). Does anybody know that?

Any other recommendations appreciated.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 3:21 AM

There are no replies.

Recommendation Home Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.