Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode not working

I've been trying to use my iMac as a second screen with my MBP

Source: MacBook Pro end of 2013 OSX 10.9 Maverick

Target: iMac 2011 OSX 10.6.8

- Both machines have Thunderbolt connectors

- I tried connecting them with both Thunderbolt and Mini Display cable (not at the same time!)

- I'm using the standard wired Mac metal keyboard on the iMac

- I started up the source machine first then the traget

- I pressed cmd+F2, also fn+cmd+F2 on the target iMac none of them had any effect

I've spent days reading forums, apple documentation and FAQ. My iMac just simply doesn't do what it meant to do based on all the avalible text online.

It's very frustrating.

Any ideas welcome

Many thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 5:34 AM

5 replies

Mar 29, 2014 5:15 PM in response to Doby_

What is cmd+F2, also fn+cmd+F2 on the target iMac suppose to do?

I get my computer in target mode by doing this:

Connect the two computers with a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable.

Start up the computer to be used as a disk in target disk mode:

If the computer is off, start it up while holding down the T key.

If the computer is on, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and then click Target Disk Mode.

Mar 29, 2014 5:22 PM in response to 60wpm

I've notice another thread on this talks about misunderstandings' between Thunderbolt and mini-display ports.

So this might be worth checkout out, at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4013027?answerId=18594765022#18594765022

Also, this can be done by going from firewire to firewire

Lastly, I noticed one of your computers was not updated to the latest OS. It's good to have both computers updated to the latest OS when trying things like this.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. - Apple won't respond, most of the time, to problems in a discussion forum. If you want a response from Apple, send Apple feedback...or phone customer service.

Target Display Mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.