Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac OS X Version 10.7.5 is running slow, what can I do to make it back to normality? please help! thanks.

My macbook pro OS X Version 10.7.5 is running slowly, what can I do to make back to normal? please help!! many thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 7:14 AM

10 replies

Jan 7, 2014 2:56 PM in response to Saleh Alamri

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem. The backup is necessary on principle, not because of anything suggested in this comment. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software — potentially for the worse. The procedure will help to identify which such modifications you've installed, as well as some other aspects of the state of the system that may be pertinent.

Here's a brief summary: Copy a line of text from this web page into a window in another application. Wait about a minute. Then paste some other text, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page. The sequence is: copy, paste, paste again. Details follow.

You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken while booted in “normal” mode. If the system is now running in safe mode and is bootable in normal mode, reboot as usual. If it only boots in safe mode, proceed anyway.

Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script. It does nothing but produce human-readable output. However, you need to be cautious about running any program at the behest of a stranger on a public message board. If you question the safety of the procedure suggested here — which you should — search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of damage. If you can't satisfy yourself that these instructions are safe, don't follow them.

The script will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but it's really a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then copy it.

If you have more than one user, and the affected user is not an administrator, then please run the script twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The administrator is the user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time. If you can't log in as an administrator, just run the script as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign ($) or a percent sign (%). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

clear; shopt -s extglob; Fm='\n%s:\n\n%s\n'; Fs='\n%s: %s\n'; PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print"; Prm () { [[ "$o" ]] && o=$(sed 's/^/ /' <<< "$o") && printf "$Fm" "$1" "$o"; }; Prc () { o=$(egrep -v '^[[:blank:]]*($|#)' "$2"); Prm "$1"; }; Prp () { o=$($PB "$2" | awk -F'= ' \/$3'/{print $2}'); Prm "$1"; }; Prs () { o="${o##+( )}"; [[ "$o" -ne 0 ]] && printf "$Fs" "$1" "$o"; }; a=$(id | grep -w '80(admin)'); r=1; [[ "$a" ]] && { sudo true; r=$?; }; { [[ "$a" ]] || echo $'No admin access\n'; [[ "$a" && "$r" -ne 0 ]] && echo $'No root access\n'; system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType | sed '8!d;s/^ *//'; o=$(system_profiler SPDiagnosticsDataType | sed '5,6!d'); fgrep -q P <<< "$o" && o=; Prm "POST"; o=$(nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'); Prs "boot-args"; o=$(($(vm_stat | awk '/Pageo/{sub("\\.",""); print $2}')/256)); o=$((o>=1024?o:0)); Prs "Pageouts (MiB)"; s=( $(sar -u 1 10 | sed '$!d') ); [[ ${s[4]} -lt 90 ]] && o=$(printf 'User %s%%\t\tSystem %s%%' ${s[1]} ${s[3]}) || o=; Prm "Total CPU usage" && o=$(ps acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu | sed '2!d'); Prm "Max %CPU by process (name, UID, %)"; o=$(kextstat -kl | grep -v com\\.apple | cut -c53- | cut -d\< -f1); Prm "Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions"; o=$(launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)|\.[0-9]+$/{print $3}'); Prm "Loaded extrinsic user agents"; o=$(launchctl getenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES); Prm "Inserted libraries"; for f in cron* fstab lau* sysc*; do Prc "$f" /e*/$f; done; Prc "hosts" <(sed '1,10d' /e*/hosts); Prc "User crontab" <(crontab -l); Prc "User launchd" ~/.launchd; o=$(find {,/u*/lo*}/e*/periodic -type f -mtime -30d); Prm "Modified periodic scripts"; Prp "Global login items" /L*/P*/loginw* Path; Prp "User login items" L*/P*/*loginit* Name; Prp "Safari extensions" L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist Bundle | sed 's/\..*$//;s/-[1-9]$//'; o=$(find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) | wc -l); Prs "Restricted user files"; cd; o=$(find -L /S*/L*/E* {/,}L*/{A*d,Compon,Ex,In,Keyb,Mail/Bu,P*P,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo}* -type d -name Contents -prune | while read d; do ID=$($PB\ :CFBundleIdentifier "$d/Info.plist") || ID=; ID=${ID:-No bundle ID}; egrep -qv "^com\.apple\.[^x]|Accusys|ArcMSR|ATTO|HDPro|HighPoint|driver\.stex|hp-fax|\.hpio|JMicron|microsoft\.MDI|print|SoftRAID" <<< $ID && printf '%s\n\t(%s)\n' "${d%/Contents}" "$ID"; done); Prm "Extrinsic loadable bundles"; o=$(find /u*/{,*/}lib -type f -exec sh -c 'file -b "$1" | grep -qw shared && ! codesign -v "$1"' {} {} \; -print); Prm "Unsigned shared libraries"; o=$(system_profiler SPFontsDataType | egrep "Valid: N|Duplicate: Y" | wc -l); Prs "Font problems"; for d in {/,}L*/{La,Priv,Sta}*; do o=$(ls -A "$d"); Prm "$d"; done; [[ "$r" -eq 0 ]] && { o=$(sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|calendarse|cups|dove|isc|ntp|post[fg]|x)/{print $3}'); Prm "Loaded extrinsic daemons"; o=$(sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook); Prm "Login hook"; Prc "Root crontab" <(sudo crontab -l);}; o=$(syslog -F bsd -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'GPU |hfs: Ru|I/O e|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|timed? ?o' | tail -n25 | awk '/:/{$4=""; $5=""; print}'); Prm "Kernel messages"; } 2> /dev/null | pbcopy; exit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Then click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter your password, the script will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important, so don't worry about it.

The script may take up to a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. Wait for the line "[Process completed]" to appear in the Terminal window.

You can then quit Terminal. The output of the script will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. All you have to do is paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V again. If any personal information, such as your name or email address, appears in the output, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

Others may offer you advice based on the output of the above script. They don't speak for me and I don't endorse their comments. Only someone who understands the script and has tested it is qualified to interpret the output.

I am the sole author of this message. It is my copyrighted work and I reserve all legal rights except as provided in theTerms of Use of this website. Readers of Apple Support Communities may copy it for their own use. No one has permission to redistribute the whole or any part of it.

Jul 26, 2014 1:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi

I'm on macbook pro(2012) OS X 10.7.5 and few days ago it slowed down unexpectedly and intensely, even for basic operations like clicking on spotlight;

even now i'm in a trouble with typing that after clicking somewhere or typing a character its pointer goes to colorfull circle for waiting;really it's unusable since this problem has been appeared.

In the activity monitor there is no heavy processes or CPU usage but on Disk Activity there is huge spikes that i think its reason of slow performance,although there is no open app and utilized space is just 15GB of 750GB!

till now I've done some methods to solve the problem [SMC reset(3times till now),PRAM reset(2times till now),Verify Disk(that notified the disk is OK),Repair disk permissions(3times, that every time appears repetitive results with a lot of repairs) ].

Now after I read your guidance mentioned above, I've done it and want to help me;

The result of Terminal is:

Boot Mode: Normal

Restricted user files: 36

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

com.apple.remotepairtool.plist

Kernel messages:

Jul 20 00:01:45 PM notification timeout (pid 39, loginwindow)

Jul 21 16:28:27 PM notification timeout (pid 191, Disk Utility)

Jul 21 16:51:17 Previous Shutdown Cause: -112

Jul 23 20:47:38 PM notification timeout (pid 44, loginwindow)

Jul 24 00:24:23 PM notification timeout (pid 45, loginwindow)

Jul 24 03:20:58 PM notification timeout (pid 177, Disk Utility)

Please Help Me!

Thanks

Oct 20, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

Pageouts (MiB): 34723

Loaded extrinsic user agents:

com.oracle.java.Java-Updater

com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud

com.google.keystone.user.agent

com.citrixonline.GoToMeeting.G2MUpdate

Restricted user files: 52

Extrinsic loadable bundles:

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

(com.hp.kext.io.enabler.compound)

/System/Library/Extensions/sony_prs2.kext

(com.sony.driver.prs2)

/Library/Extensions/hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobeAAMDetect.plugin

(com.AdobeAAMDetectLib.AdobeAAMDetect)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

(com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/readerdetect.bundle

(com.sony.ebook.readerdetect)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

(com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Unity Web Player.plugin

(com.unity.UnityWebPlayer)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

(com.oracle.java.JavaControlPanel)

/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

(No bundle ID)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABDialer.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabdialer)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABSMS.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin.plugin

(com.citrixonline.mac.WebDeploymentPlugin)

/Library/LaunchAgents:

com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist

com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

com.sony.ReaderDesktop.RunReaderDesktop.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper

Library/LaunchAgents:

com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-lyildiz@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

com.citrixonline.GoToMeeting.G2MUpdate.plist

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

Loaded extrinsic daemons:

com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper

com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool

com.adobe.fpsaud

Kernel messages:

Oct 15 21:24:05 122238.865140: ar9300LoadNF: *** TIMEOUT while waiting for nf to load: AR_PHY_AGC_CONTROL=0x1d0dda ***

Oct 15 22:21:07 125661.152369: ar9300LoadNF: *** TIMEOUT while waiting for nf to load: AR_PHY_AGC_CONTROL=0x1d0dda ***

Oct 17 19:43:20 7502.062358: ar9300LoadNF: *** TIMEOUT while waiting for nf to load: AR_PHY_AGC_CONTROL=0x1d0dda ***

Oct 19 20:09:29 PM notification timeout (pid 3274, loginwindow)

Jul 23, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, Linc -

When looking for answers to my issues, I ran across this thread. It's from last year but I hope you can still help me. I am on an iMac, OS 10.7.5, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. There have been issues with running slow for quite a while but I could get it better by running disk utility (there are always a lot of repairs each time I run this). However, now my computer will just freeze when I am in the middle of something and has to be shut off. I had previously tried to uninstall a program that was suppose to help get my mac running better and ran into a lot of issues with it and am hesitant to do anything more than run disk utility now. I am hoping you can help. Thanks.

Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions:

llels.kext.ConnectUSB (3.0.0)

etmac.driver.PocketMacKNet (2.0.0)

etmac.driver.PocketMacKSerial (2.0.0)

t.PacketForwarder (2.0)

t.AvastFileShield (2.1.0)

Loaded extrinsic user agents:

com.avast.helper

com.hp.devicemonitor

com.oracle.java.Java-Updater

com.avast.userinit

com.avast.update-agent

com.avast.home.userinit

com.adobe.ARM.202f4087f2bbde52e3ac2df389f53a4f123223c9cc56a8fd83a6f7ae

Safari extensions:

wrc

Restricted user files: 35

Extrinsic loadable bundles:

/System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBMP.kext

(jp.co.canon.bj.kext.BJUSBMP)

/System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext

(com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB)

/System/Library/Extensions/hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/MicrosoftKeyboard.kext

(com.microsoft.driver.MicrosoftKeyboard)

/System/Library/Extensions/MicrosoftMouse.kext

(com.microsoft.driver.MicrosoftMouse)

/System/Library/Extensions/PocketMacKNet.kext

(net.pocketmac.driver.PocketMacKNet)

/System/Library/Extensions/PocketMacKSerial.kext

(net.pocketmac.driver.PocketMacKSerial)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

(info.emagic.driver.unitor)

/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext

(com.google.filesystems.fusefs)

/Library/Extensions/hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

/Library/InputManagers/SIMBL/SIMBL.bundle

(net.culater.SIMBL)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

(com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

(com.oracle.java.JavaControlPanel)

Unsigned shared libraries:

/usr/local/lib/libical.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libicalss.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libicalvcal.0.0.0.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libltdl.3.1.0.dylib

Font problems: 37

/Library/LaunchAgents:

com.avast.update-agent.plist

com.avast.userinit.plist

com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

com.avast.init.plist

com.avast.uninstall.plist

com.avast.update.plist

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

Library/LaunchAgents:

.DS_Store

com.adobe.ARM.202f4087f2bbde52e3ac2df389f53a4f123223c9cc56a8fd83a6f7ae.plist

com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.66B04A8F-81E7-4AC6-8D70-76 8985934898.plist

com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist

com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist

com.avast.home.userinit.plist

Loaded extrinsic daemons:

com.avast.crashreport

com.avast.account

com.avast.fileshield

com.avast.proxy

com.avast.service

com.avast.daemon

com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

com.avast.update

com.avast.uninstall

com.avast.init

com.adobe.fpsaud

Jul 23, 2015 4:18 PM in response to 3star8

Consider uninstalling

Avast

CleanMyMac2

using the vendors uninstall instructions.

Both of these utilities can drain your system resources, for very little gain.

How does Mac OS X protect me?

<http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-builtin/>

You may want to remove SIMBL as well.

FUSE can sometimes cause issues.

com.google.filesystems.fusefs

If you do not need this, you might consider removing it. I'm guessing it is associated with Google Drive, but that is a guess.

What are:

llels.kext.ConnectUSB (3.0.0)

etmac.driver.PocketMacKNet (2.0.0)

etmac.driver.PocketMacKSerial (2.0.0)

Do you need these kernel extensions?

Aug 12, 2015 2:23 PM in response to BobHarris

I apologize, Bob. I have not had a chance to get back to this until today. I have attempted to uninstall both Avast and CleanMyMac but both seem to retain properties that keep showing up. When following the uninstall instructions did not work, I tried to go through and find everything associated with them but I am sure I did not find everything. I did find some of the ones that showed up on my previous post but whether I was able to get rid of them...

I have no idea what the kernel extensions are that you mentioned, and could not find them when I tried to search for them. I found SIMBL and removed it, but could not find com.google.filesystems.fusefs, or the kernel extensions.

I can usually follow directions very well but when it comes to the various libraries and what each have in them and where to find things, I guess I need explicit instructions as I felt quite lost in trying to find these things.

And of course, my computer still is freezing up and has to be shut down with the power button as the only option. It is better when I run 'Repair Disk Permissions' for about a week or so but then it starts occurring again. Each time it happens, there are LOADS of disk repairs to do, and I have no idea what I could be doing to cause them to occur.

Would you be kind enough to give me the paths where I can find the things I need to uninstall/remove, and I will try to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2015 4:36 PM in response to 3star8

NOTE: The correct way to uninstall something is to use the vendors uninstall instructions. But if you are going to go looking for this stuff manually, then they can be found at:

3rd party kernel extensions are stored in:

/Library/Extensions

3rd party Launch Agents can be in:

/Library/LaunchAgents

your_home_folder/Library/LaunchAgents

3rd party Launch Daemons can be in:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

3rd party browser plug-ins can be found in:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

your_home_folder/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

And of course, my computer still is freezing up

You should try booting into "Safe" mode to see if the system still hangs/freezes. In Safe mode most 3rd party items are not loaded. Safe mode also clears out some kernel caches which can be handy as well.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564>

My mac OS X Version 10.7.5 is running slow, what can I do to make it back to normality? please help! thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.