Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV can't connect to server at this time.

I started having this problem late last year. I have just arrived home from LA and I'm still having issues.

My setup for reference:

Comcast 50 down 10 up

AirPort Extreme 5th gen 802.11n version 7.6.4

Connection as seen from AirPort utility data rate 58Mb/s RSSI -70 dBm in 802.11a/n

Apple TV 3rd gen version 6.0.2

Connected to a 47" 1080p Vizio Smart TV over HDMI.

Another Apple TV I have on 6.0.1 is working fine.

I have no issues on any other wireless client connecting to the AirPort Extreme and previously had no issues with my Apple TV.

What I have tried so far:

Reconnecting to the network

A reset of the AppleTV

A restore of the AppleTV

Each time I try any of the above steps the AppleTV will work for a few hours or maybe a day before it will fail to work again and I will need to take any of the above steps to reconnect. I can't even do the network test after it fails as it says it's unable to connect to the server.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? I'm about ready to give up on the AppleTV and buy a chrome cast or Roku as I use streaming almost exclusively for content consumption instead of our horrible Dish network TV which I only use for sports I can't stream on the AppleTV.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 8:00 AM

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2014 8:00 AM in response to jdwusami

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

Jan 25, 2014 2:59 AM in response to jdwusami

Hi there!

Today I wanted to stream a film from Netflix and found out that my AppleTV wasn't connecting to iTunes. I tried quite a few different ways to fix it, but kept getting "Apple TV can't connect to the server at this time" … open iTunes to find that the Airplay icon wasn't there and then it was, and again dissapeared as soon as I clicked on it! Then I remembered that a few days ago we had a power cut and thought of doing what we do to our Sky box when it becomes unsettled … unplug everything for a couple of minutes and then plug it back again and violà it worked!

Settings are there, Airplay icon is back too. It was as simple as that! I wished I had thought of that 2 hours earlier!

Apple TV can't connect to server at this time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.