Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi only works with Chrome

Hi

Like many other users I experience wifi problems after upgrading to Mavericks.

I have tried all the recommended 'solutions' - delete configuration files, create new location, reset PRAM...

(see e.g Eric Root's sugegstions here. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5523321?answerId=23750527022#23750527022).

Some things work sometimes, but so far I have found no lasting fix.

But here is the thing: While most apps, including Safari, the App store and other native apps, Spotify etc. can't connect to the internet, Google Chrome can!

Running the wifi diagnostic when all except Chrome can't connect, I am sometimes told the internet connection is OK, which it is... but not.

In short:

I can always log in to my home router as admin and change settings (in any browser), but not connect to the internet unless I use the Chrome browser.

On other networks I either get instant access, or sometimes have to create a new location and reconnect (where it always worked before).

I read somewhere that Mavericks has a cache system (or similar) to prevent network spoofing, and this might be the cause. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, how do I disable it for my homenetwork?

As a temporary 'solution' I have bought a network adapter (thunderbolt), but it kind of defeats the purpose of a Macbook Air...

All helpfull suggestions not already covered are most welcome.

Keenst

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 10:02 AM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2014 12:34 PM in response to keenst

I had this same issue:

Connects to Ethernet/wifi

obtains networks settings (ip address, dns, etc.)

Connects to ISP

cannot connect to Internet or server…

Except for Chrome Browser (it connected ran a little slow)

Happens on Wifi (every wifi)

Happens when connected via ethernet

Router not the issue

Network diagnosis

Ethernet — green

Network Settings — green

ISP — green

Internet — red (failed)

Server — red (failed)

I tried all the various troubleshooting options mentioned. Finally, I made sure I had my Time machine backups in order. Then I did the Mavericks recover (restart holding down command R). I selected reinstall OS. I had made a disk copy of recover just in case it wouldn't connect to the Internet. To my surprise, it did connect and downloaded the OS (2 hrs). Then it reinstalled (90 min). To my sheer joy I didn't have to re-install my Apps or files. Everything was there (did have to update Adobe and Xquartz). Everything else seems to be working fine on various Wifi's.

Apr 6, 2014 4:28 AM in response to keenst

Sadly it didn't fix the issue for me - I can still get on my local network, but not get through to the Internet. The odd thing is that it sometimes work when I have been away for a while and the computer has been connected to ther network - then it will work on the home network for a few days before packing it in.

Apr 6, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Benny Collins

If Chrome connects but other things do not, that points to a bad proxy setting or bad DNS servers.

Chrome uses its own settings for those.

Open Network System preferences, Click on WiFi, then the Advanced Button.

Look at the Proxies tab and see if anything is checked. Unless you need a proxy, nothing should be checked except the Passive FTP.

Look at the DNS tab. There should only be one address (grayed out) and it is normally your router.

If there are other addresses, select each one and remove them by clicking the Remove ( - ) button.

Apr 6, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

Like Benny I tried all those and more - but since I can get on the net using a cable connection to the router, and even connect to the router (sometimes) using other browsers, the issue is with the WiFi - and it used to work before upgrading to mavericks.

And all other computers and devices, phones and ipods have no trouble....

wifi only works with Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.