Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will wireless keyboard work with Apple TV?

Hi I'm trying to find out if a blutooth keyboard will work with Apple TV for when I'm entering search fields?

Been looking at either the Microsoft wedge or Advent K512!

Thanks in advance and apologies for using the M word!

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:06 AM

12 replies

Jan 7, 2014 11:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Not necessarily:

Compatibility with other Bluetooth accessories

• Bluetooth support on Apple TV is for keyboards only. Headsets, speakers, and other devices are not supported.
  • If you are having difficultly connecting or using a third-party Bluetooth keyboard, contact the manufacturer to verify that it is compatible with Apple products and Apple TV.

But that doesn't mean a specific keyboard will work with it. I would actually be surprised if Microsoft privides any device specific compatiblity information, however.

Jan 7, 2014 1:54 PM in response to diesel vdub

No, you can't type from a wireless keyboard to an Apple TV. But hold on, if you have a iTouch, iPhone, or iPad you can get the app "Remote" on your device. When you download that, turn on "Home Sharing" on your Apple TV (it will say "Computer" as the selection in the selection area when you turn it on and will have a house on it) and enter the Apple ID you want for it to buy movies and what Apple ID you want it under as. When you do that, go to the Remote app on your mobile device and sign in on the same Apple ID. Wait while it loads. Then select your Apple TV. and now you can fully control your Apple TV with this app, it is your Apple TV remote but easer to use. To move the selection you swipe in the direction you want to go in, and when you run in to having to type, simply swipe right to move your cursor over the typing box and your keyboard will show up on your mobile device and you can type it faster (dont worry if it doesn't appear instantly on your Apple TV, it takes around 3 seconds)! You will also need the mobile device on the same Wi-Fi as the Apple TV.

Jan 8, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Lee Tubb

I wouldn't assume anything, Apple have provided details of keyboards that work with the Apple TV, which are all Apple keyboards, just as I said in my first response to you. If you have a keyboard already you can always try it, however if you are needing to purchase one, my advice is go for those that are known to work rather getting involved in a crap shoot.

Will wireless keyboard work with Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.