Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can i find latest firmware update for PowerMac G5 dual (multible) CPUs ?

Hi there

tried to browse Apple Support on the G5, but newer found a firmware that was compatible with G5. Its running OSX 10.5.8, software update says there are no updates (maybe because its not supported anymore ?), current Firmware version is 5.1.5f0, it might be the latest ???

Kind Regards

Kim

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 5:28 AM

There are no further updates. Why do you think it needs to be updated?

8 replies

Jan 8, 2014 9:32 AM in response to DieselFuelForLife

Hi There

Thanks for Your reply. Mainly because I'm trying to exchange HDD to a SSD HDD (Samsung Evo). The first time I tried to reinstall on the SSD in bay A, I had no problems in seeing SSD in Disktool or installing OSX 10.5 - But when Mac needed boot again, it wouldn't boot. Tryed to install OSX 10.5 again, but SSD wasn't visible this time, tryed to remove power (and connect power after 5 min. again) and resinstall, still wasn't able to see SSD. Tryed to reset BIOS/Firmware, then inst. OSX 10.5 again, still same problem. I don't buy the talk about SATA 1 compatibility, because then I shouldn't have been able to see SSD and install OSX on it the first time - So next logical step was to try to update it with firmware, and this seems to fail, next step would be to install Linux O/S that runs on Power PC (MAC), if SSD drive works here its a bug in the OSX 10.5 🙂

Kind Regards

Kim

Jan 9, 2014 2:56 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi There

Well, the drive in bay A was total disconnected. Furthermore i've tested with a Hitachi Z7K500 2,5" SATA 3 conventional drive in both bays (one at a time), that worked with no problems - So if the problem is SATA 1 compatibility, its only in some combinations, a lot of the drives today are backward SATA 1 compatible - It seems very strange that the problems often show when trying SSDs, their backward compatibility should be OK. It might also be the controllers of the SSD drives, that are more "tweaked" and complex than on the conventional drives.

Still also strange that the G5 was able to detect the SSD in bay a the first time - It's a firmware problem of some kind i think - But well, the good old G5 is not supported anymore, so i guess one shouldn't have to high expectations 😉

Kind Regards

Kim

Where can i find latest firmware update for PowerMac G5 dual (multible) CPUs ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.