Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are interactive slideshow menus possible in Aperture?

I am looking for a IPhoto/IDVD replacement for Mavericks OS. It appears that Aprture might be the software of choice, except that I cannot find any info on the creation of clickable manus as one had in IDVD. If Aperture does not allow this type of creation, what software does?

Appleworks-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 12:10 PM

7 replies

Jan 7, 2014 12:35 PM in response to Tamarack1

It appears that Aprture might be the software of choice, except that I cannot find any info on the creation of clickable manus as one had in IDVD.

Aperture lets you create slideshows using a variety of themes and render them as video files.

But it does not support the burning of the video to a DVD.

iDVD does still work with Mavericks.

You could render the slideshow as a video either in iPhoto or Aperture and burn the video DVD with iDVD.

Jan 8, 2014 3:52 AM in response to Tamarack1

It's all a bit of a mish-mash at the moment.

DVD was a format for phyiscal distribution of media. But DVDs quality had reached its limits and people started wanting the instant acess of the internet and higher quality of HD.

There is no doubt that's where things are heading, but given all the competition and lack of dominant standards, it does seem like the convenience and ease of DVD (thanks in part to iDVD) has been 'end-of-life'd a bit prematurely.

Apple's approach for a while was Front Row, but then that got killed off too, presumably deciding Apple TV was a better platform it.

If you want to stick with DVDs (or Blu Ray) then there are alternatives to iDVD that are still actively supported, perhaps a question the iDVD forum will help.

But most of the focus now seems on media streaming Apps, for both your local network and internet (receive and broadcast). The trouble is it's still in it's infancy and standards are basic (do a search on DLNA or check out this for a brief introduction: http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-home/home-networking/dlna-what-it-is-and-w hat-you-need-to-know-1079015 ).

The problem is, while DVD was universal, streaming frameworks are not and so currently it's a lot easier to share Apple created content with your Apple owning friends and family than it is with people in a different ecosystem. Before you just had to know if your friends family had a DVD player, now you need to understand their media streaming setup!!

Dispite Apple not participating in DLNA (presumably because it's still much too technical for the layperson and Apple has competing technologies for Apple devices) there are Apps and devices that bridge the gap.

The question is do you want to stick with DVD for now, or make the (inevitable) switch to electronic/streaming distribution. If the latter it's not currently a simple switch from one approach to the other, it's about starting a whole new learning curve.

Andy

Jan 8, 2014 5:06 AM in response to Tamarack1

There are replacements for iDVD but none have the rich feature set that iDVD has.

Roxio - DVD Burning Software is probably the number one replacement for iDVD. But before you quick on iDVD let me ask does your system have a fusion drive by any chance?

You also might want to have a look at thei user tip How to create a video-DVD? (Macs without iDVD)

regards

Jan 8, 2014 9:31 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a fusion drive.

What I like about Idvd is the option of using menus to create more of a multimedia presentation as opposed to just a slide show or move combination on a dvd.

The main issue I have with Idvd is the occasional faulty rendering of accompanying music, and there seems to be no easy way around this, even though I have spent hours on different attempts.

The version 7 of Idvd that I have only runs on my G4 Power PC, and not on my Imac which uses Mavericks operating system. I understand from an earlier reply that Idvd also runs under Mavericks, but I am not able to acquire a version that I can install on my Imac in the hope that it would perfoerm better there, since they have been removed from the marketplace.

I will need to look into the streaming suggestion made by Andy to see if I can use that to my ends.

Right now it looks as if I am searching for multimedia/dvd software that is not unduly complicated to use, and that comes with document support from the author or other publishers.

I was hoping that Aperture 3.5 might be the answer, but, the more I research it, the more unlikely it is that it will meet my needs.

Jan 8, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank,

I had already checked with Amazon, and they will not ship to Canada; the Canadian counterpart does not list the product. I tried my mac OS Leopard dvd which made the computer have a kernel attack upon an attempted install of the extra items.

I also checked my old Final Cut Express HD installers, and they of course wouldn't work and are no longer supported by Apple.

In the last day or two it has become clear to me that what I really appreciated about Idvd was its ability to create menus that gave the viewer a sense of choice. So far I haven't found a replacement for this way of dealing with slideshows, videos and music on a dvd. The dvd burning issue is really not the problem, I think.

The Wondershare DVD Creator application seemed to be workable, but, with its lack of documentation the whole business of timing slides and transitions when set to music was such an issue that I gave up on it while using their trial version.

The Fantashow slideshow maker app. kept crashing for unknown reasons.

I think I will just have to keep poking around until I come up with an app that is affordable and relatively easy to use.

Thanks for your input.

Are interactive slideshow menus possible in Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.