Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I launch Calc with a shortcut from any App?

I know about Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, but when I add a new shortcut to Calculator.app it simply does not work. Why so?

What I want is just to launch Calc app with a shortcut from keyboard wherever I want.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 12:08 PM

You can do this with an Automator Service:

1. open Automator (it's in Applications).
    1. choose Service for type of document
    2. in the column on the left, select Utilities
    3. in the next column, select Launch Application and drag it over to the box to the right.
    4. up at the top, select Service receives: no input; select in: any application
  2. select Calculator in the drop down menu beneath Launch application.
  3. Close the window and give it a name, like LaunchCalc
  4. in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts select Services in the box on the left. You should see LaunchCalc under General.
  5. click on add shortcut and type in a shortcut, for example, control-option-⌘-C
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Roman Sidoroff

You can do this with an Automator Service:

1. open Automator (it's in Applications).
    1. choose Service for type of document
    2. in the column on the left, select Utilities
    3. in the next column, select Launch Application and drag it over to the box to the right.
    4. up at the top, select Service receives: no input; select in: any application
  2. select Calculator in the drop down menu beneath Launch application.
  3. Close the window and give it a name, like LaunchCalc
  4. in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts select Services in the box on the left. You should see LaunchCalc under General.
  5. click on add shortcut and type in a shortcut, for example, control-option-⌘-C

Sep 7, 2017 7:55 AM in response to arthur

I got it to work however it has a blue background I think its called dashboard. In a previous computer the dashboard popped up when I hit the middle mouse button but the small apps popped up in front of the desktop with everything else still visible. So when I was adding things on my computer I could see them as I type into the calculator. Is the way you are describing only for the calendar app? The dashboard works just fine but I want to see the background instead of the blue screen with the apps only.

I got it to work not by your description but my cousins help. I am not opening any apps to use the calculator it is totally on it own with nothing else open. I press the F15 for the shortcut.

Scott

How do I launch Calc with a shortcut from any App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.