Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook wifi won't maintain a connection. Worked fine for 3 years, but not last 2 weeks. Have tried at least 10 different fixes from the support blogs. Barely works once in a while. Tempted to throw Macbook out the window.

Macbook wifi won't maintain a connection. Worked fine for 3 years, but not last 2 weeks. Have tried at least 10 different fixes from the support blogs. Barely works once in a while. Tempted to throw Macbook out the window.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 1:11 PM

2 replies

Jan 14, 2014 5:32 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

1. Turned wireless On & Off a zillion times

2. Rebooted my macbook.

3. Reset my router.

4. Set a manual IP address with DHCP

5. Moved Wi-Fi to the top of the Service Order list.

6. I only have one router, so did not need to make one a priority

7. Deleted my existing wifi connection and re-added it.

8. Added 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS) as a DNS entry

9. Added hhw.local under Search Domains (actually my macbook magically did it on its own, so when it disappeared, I would add hhw.local

10. Added a new network location.

11. Under the ethernet tab, I configured it manually to MTU 1280

--> I did these things over and over and over again for the last week and a half because the connection would keep dropping.

Magically my macbook added some things on its own and for the last two days, I have had a good and consistent wifi connection (hope I just didn't jinx everything).

Three different DNS server locations were magically added and the 8.8.8.8 disappeared.

The macbook magically kept the hhw.local and magically went back to MTU of 1500.

Seems to work okay now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.