Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Windows utilize full MP (Late 2013) hardware under Boot Camp?

I am looking at purchasing the new Mac Pro (late 2013) as a workstation-class computer for multiphysics modeling (look up COMSOL, Ansys HFSS, or CST if you need to know). HFSS and CST are windows only and all three are heavy RAM users while also being graphics hogs (think of CAD on steroids, or maybe just really large CAD files) ruling out virtual machines. We also have space constraints here in my university research lab, hence the Mac Pro versus many other windows options.

I basically want to know just that, would a 64GB RAM, dual GPU machine work efficiently in Windows 7/8? Does anyone have experience with this versus "it should?" Or maybe someone has run benchmarks on the new Mac Pro under Windows? Thanks ahead of time for any help provided.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 1:20 PM

12 replies

Jan 7, 2014 7:01 PM in response to brockap3

No, not all 64 bit Windows versions can handle 64 GB of ram. You also did not specify you were going to install the 64 bit version of Windows hence my caution. I did not want you to install a 32 bit version of Windows. Also the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium can not use 64 GB ram. All 64 bit versions of Windows 8 can use 64 GB ram.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.as px#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Windows server versions are not supported by Boot Camp.

Jan 8, 2014 5:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you for that. I was not aware of the lower end Windows 7 64bit having such limitations, nor that Windows server isn't supported under Boot Camp. We will likely run Windows 7 professional or Windows 8 professional since those are most accessible at our university and those won't have issue with RAM limits here.

So I guess it's more a matter of it should work, but I'd be the guinea pig with such a new system then (the only things I question are the new video cards that are Apple specific and maybe some other internals' compatibility, but Windows tends to be "all-inclusive" with such things). If anyone has further input on the benchmarking, feel free to share.

Thanks again BobTheFisherman.

Jan 8, 2014 8:02 AM in response to brockap3

Boot Camp contains the drivers for your Mac hardware, not Windows. This is one critical reason to use Boot Camp Assistant which contains a step/menu item to download the Windows Support software. If Windows had the drivers for your Mac hardware there would be little reason to use Boot Camp other than to create the partition.

Print and follow the instructions to partition, download, and install the Windows drivers/support software.

Jan 9, 2014 8:17 AM in response to brockap3

And FYI, only Windows 8 is supported on the new Mac Pro (Late 2013) with Bootcamp.

See Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems

Look under Boot Camp requirements by Mac model

Mac Pro

Mac modelWindows 8, 64-bitWindows 7, 64-bitWindows 7, 32-bitWindows Vista, 64-bitWindows Vista, 32-bitWindows XP, 32-bit
Mac Pro (Late 2013)BCA-----

"BCA" indicates that Boot Camp drivers are automatically downloaded as part of the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X, for 2013 or later models of Mac computers.

Jan 10, 2014 7:26 AM in response to TomsiPhone

It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy person dumming down an amazing piece of hardware ;-). Some engineering software companies are just too far behind the game (and VMWare just won't cut it as it will leave the GPUs virtually, pun intended, unused) and still only support Windows. We'll get there one day.

BobTheFisherman, Thanks for directing to the guides, I hadn't actually looked as I didn't think there was that much information on it from Apple, yet (with Mavericks, Win 8, and the Mac Pro being fairly new), but that assumption was opbviously wrong. We will at least have to wait a little while before looking into 8.1 then. But that's generally a good idea anyway in a pseudo-business (read: academic) environment.

TomsiPhone, We plan on making a computer decision by the end of the month, so if you aren't in too much of a rush, and the decision goes the right way, you just might get your wish through myself. I will definitely come back and update on anything I find with the Mac Pro in Windows should we get it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.