Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't boot into OS X after installing Windows 7. No "Boot Camp" references exists on the Windows side. After lots of Googling, I've come here.

Well, this appears to be a bit of a mess. Here's the shortest version of the story possible:

The Problem:

My Mac won't boot into OS X anymore after installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

What I've Tried:

- Holding down various key combinations during start-up (Option, Option-R, Command-R, Option-Command-R, etc) does nothing.

- Removing the Windows hard drive and leaving only the OS X drive inside simply presents me with a black screen that has a white underscore in the upper left.

- Attempting to access the BIOS menu on the Windows side is leaving me helpless. I can't figure out the key combination and I don't even think my keyboard is working during the start process.

Other Problems:

- There is no Boot Camp program on the Windows side. Not in the system tray, not in program files, not when I try to "uninstall or change programs". The words "Boot Camp" give no result when I search for them in Windows 7.

- The Apple logo doesn't appear on start-up, which tells me that those key combinations shouldn't work.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 1:28 PM

13 replies

Aug 16, 2017 10:39 PM in response to charbok

So. I have same problem and another solution of this problem.

If, after installing any windows on bootcamp disk/partition you lost ability to bootup to OSX (it's looks like boot only windows/no option boot menu/no cd boot/no recovery boot) and you have WIRELESS KEYBOARD (important!), try to connect any WIRED USB KEYBOARD and boot with Cmd+Option+P+R. Sometimes it will help.

Aug 30, 2017 8:23 PM in response to Startouf1

Hello, my friend, I would like to thank you first for your help, but with me it only worked in parts, I was able to install the bootcamp the way you explained it, however my macbook still does not start with mac osx and neither of the boot options when I hold Option (Alt), please help me, I can not work for a week, I do not know what else to do.

Information: The boot combinations do not work yet (Cmd + R, Shift + Cmd + Option + R) anyway, none works.

Jan 7, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Csound1

Nothing, but I've just found out that if I hold down Option BEFORE starting up (bolded to help future people) the computer and then continuing to hold it through start-up it brings up the standard boot screen that lets me choose a boot drive. I'm back in OS X.

So I still have the problem of not having the Boot Camp utilities in Windows, but it's not a horrible everything-is-lost scenario. I need those utilities for Windows to run properly, so that stinks.

Mar 7, 2014 5:38 AM in response to charbok

Hi I just got out of this situation after two weeks of forums and have tried any kind of different solutions.

If you have no response using start-up keys and you can't choose your start-up disk when pressing "Option" here is what to do.

The problem in this situation is common to users that install Boot Camp and at one stage the installation fail, may be a bug in BootCamp or just our mistakes, it doesn't really matter here is the solution.....

If you can start Windows, or Start the installation dvd of Windows do it, when In windows you will need to install BootCamp windows Driver, if you try to use the Apple downloaded file, it will not work.

You need to find the zip file in internet I found it with Google.

When you have the file run a "cmd" window with Administrator privileges.

Navigate in the folder that you have decompressed and open the folder Drivers/Apple/ you will see the file BootCamp.msi or BootCamp64.msi, of course choose the one that correspond to your Windows System .... type the file name and hit enter .... the drivers will install .... but what we really want to be install is that little icon on the system tray (right bottom).

After we will restart windows that little icon will give you the chance to restart the computer in OS X.

If something during the BootCamp and Windows installation had corrupted your OS X installation, you will have to reinstall, but at least you will be able to do it now. ;-) It took me two weeks and lot of researches, it's an hour job. Have fun.

Dec 28, 2016 12:00 PM in response to Joshua3D

Your solution was the only one that worked. Thank you very much, I was struggling too...

Just something to add for newbies : search for cmd - right click "run as admin"

then you have to copy the full path of your BootCamp.msi (usually the .msi is hidden by default) in the black window that appears.

You can copy paste the full path by right clicking the BootCamp file and hit properties, the full path will be something like \Users\YOURUSERNAME\Downloads\BootCamp5.1.5640\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp. msi
You might have to right by hand BootCamp.msi

Don't forget the .msi or it wont work.

Thanks again and good luck to all of you 🙂

Mac won't boot into OS X after installing Windows 7. No "Boot Camp" references exists on the Windows side. After lots of Googling, I've come here.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.