Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

parts of AVCHD files

hi - i have some old footage from a sony handycam, which is saved to my imac as an avchd file. it is a large file - around 60gb.

unfortunately, i don't have all the related files/folders that are usually appended to the AVCHD file (i believe it normally comes in 4 parts?). i just have the AVCHD file itself.

i am able to get some use out of the AVCHD file. i can click on the file and it opens in quicktime and displays all of the 200 "clips" that are sitting in the file. i can then play any one of the individual clips that sit in the AVCHD file.

however, i would like to be able to break the file up to be able to edit / email different clips separately. however, when i drag the file into iphoto it inevitably crashes due to its large size.

any tips as to how i might be able to process this file would be much appreciated.

thanks.

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 3:43 AM

The AVCHD file structure is shown in:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AVCHD_actual_file_structure.jpg

The actual movie clips are in the subfolder "STREAM". You can import these indivdually or in groups directly into iMovie 10. (In iMovie 9 you have to convert them first). I don't know about iPhoto since I don't use it.

In iMovie 10 you can then sort them how you like into into different events. In each event they will appear in chronolgical order and If you select View - Show separate days in events they will be grouped into each day's shoots.

Geoff

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 3:43 AM in response to garethgoals

The AVCHD file structure is shown in:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AVCHD_actual_file_structure.jpg

The actual movie clips are in the subfolder "STREAM". You can import these indivdually or in groups directly into iMovie 10. (In iMovie 9 you have to convert them first). I don't know about iPhoto since I don't use it.

In iMovie 10 you can then sort them how you like into into different events. In each event they will appear in chronolgical order and If you select View - Show separate days in events they will be grouped into each day's shoots.

Geoff

parts of AVCHD files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.