Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant access old files still on time capsule. disk utility won't mount the disk, and consistently crashes. time machine can't access the old back-up either. I can open the backup file w/ "show package contents" but it's just 250Gb of encrypted files.

please help. i see the time capsule still holds the file size that indicates it has my old back-ups but i can't access them and pull my old photos from it. i need my old photos because that is the only place they exist now.

cant access old files still on time capsule. disk utility won't mount the disk, and consistently crashes. time machine can't access the old back-up either. I can open the backup file w/ "show package contents" but it's just 250Gb of encrypted files.

Macbook Pro 15', Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 5:02 PM

1 reply

Jan 8, 2014 10:50 AM in response to hiimmooky

Did you upgrade the computer to Mavericks? This certainly seems to cause problems.

Did you have TM set to encrypt the backup?

Or do you have file vault running on the drive?

Disk utility cannot mount a TC disk but it should be able to mount a sparsebundle.

Give that a try. Try A5 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I would also if you use mavericks manually mount the TC using AFP instead of the way Mavericks tries to do it using SMB.

In Finder, Go, connect to server.

AFP://TCIPaddress (this is 10.0.1.1 by default if the TC is in router mode. In bridge it could be anything.. find the IP from the airport utility).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.