Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carrier Plan Cancellation?

Hello guys, I think it's a simple question.

I live in Brazil, but right now I'm in California. I intend to buy an iPhone 5s at apple store and keep with the carrier I have in Brazil, which isn't AT&T, Verizon or any other here in USA. My question is, what is cheaper? Buying the iPhone with some carrier, cancelling the plan right after activating and then unlock it OR simply buy the unlocked iPhone?

I was wondering what are the charges and fees during the cancellation process, unlocking and etc. If it turns out to be better or not just buy the unlocked iPhone..

Would be great to hear the voice of experience here, thanks!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 5:12 PM

10 replies

Jan 7, 2014 5:23 PM in response to ArturDB

You generally cannot buy a locked phone and get it unlocked until the 2 year contract term is over. The only exception is T-Mobile, but you still have to pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone before they will unlock it. So there is no benefit to buying a locked phone.

The one way out is to get a Verizon phone. While they don't advertise the fact, it is unlocked for use with a GSM SIM worldwide. But again, you will have to pay full price or agree to a 2 year contract with a penalty clause for canceling that will cost as much as an unlocked phone.

Remember that if you buy a phone in the US it can only be serviced or replaced under warranty in the US, and also that LTE will probably not work outside of the US as the bands are different in other parts of the world.

Jan 7, 2014 6:03 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Well, thanks for the help. But I have to disagree. If I buy the iPhone here, open it and use for personal purpose, I just dont have to pay any tax when coming back to my country.

iPhone 5s 16gb Locked in US

• $ 199,00
  • $ 39,00 (activation fee)
  • $ 325,00 (AT&T cancellation fee)
  • $ 19,90 (unlocking service I found)

---------------------------------

$ 582,90 + tax

iPhone 5s 16gb Unlocked in US

$ 649,00 + tax

iPhone 5s 16gb Unlocked in Brazil

$ 1083,00 + tax (value converted)

The only thing is that I'm not sure if those values in the Locked iPhone are the only one I'll have to pay in the process...

Jan 7, 2014 6:25 PM in response to ArturDB

You forgot your first month of service and data added to that breakdown that you showed. You have to pay the first months service as well. Depending on the plan that you got, add that as well. And as Lawrence said, the unlocking service you found isn't legit. I think AT&T will not unlock within the first 30 days either, despite paying the ETF.

I can understand your reluctance to paying the price in your home country, but there is a lot going against it, considering the price you pay for the device and to not get warranty service and it will not support all bands in your country, you have a second rate phone for the cost. But then, it is your money.

Carrier Plan Cancellation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.