Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod (5g) cannot be synced (error -50)

...using iTunes 11.1.3, it can't make it through step two of sync process. Just got the iPod few weeks ago and has been syncing ok until today. Help!!??

iPod touch, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 7:23 PM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2014 8:45 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass, hi. I have encountered a similar problem but with an iPhone 5s.

I continue to have trouble with my iPhone 5s sync. A few details. I have just installed a new iMac to replace my MacPro 2009 4,1. For some reason the name of the new iMac shows Mac Pro on its name after the time machine restore. I don't know why. In any case, I have done the following:

1. Turn the iPhone off and on. That didn't fix it.

2. Reset the iPhone by holding the two necessary buttons.

3. Did a full restore from iTunes.

4. Move USB ports.

Yesterday it loaded the apps but when I went to add my music, it failed again. It shows the message after the step before the last which is importing photos. I don't want to have to take my heavy 27" iMac to the store for the fix.

Thanks for your assistance, community.

Felizrunner

I have been able to move music manually by turning off the automatic sync. I have iTunes 11.1.4 (62) and Mac OSX 10.9.1.

Thanks,

Felizrunner

Feb 10, 2014 10:30 AM in response to kek5

Can't help for this other than when I sync my iPod Classic and iPad I encounter exactly the same error (-50) Not sure if it helps thougjh, but when I uncheck the "Sync Photos from" box the error does not happen - synchronisation goes ahead no problem. The common factor is my iMac (I'm running Mountain Lion 10.9.1).

Please can Apple or someone/anyone sort this out?

Feb 14, 2014 12:14 PM in response to felizrunner

Further to that. Went to Apple Store in Belfast. Told Genius about issue and iPhoto and he said was corrupted image - wasn't convinced. Did what I Call a binary chop to isolate faulty image when synchronising. Didn't help nor isolate anything, in fact I selected sync then Selected albums, events etc but didn't check ANY Albums, Events or Faces (effectively no photos!) and the error still occurred so definitely problem with iPhoto NOT corrupted photo! Will keep you posted. Will try another visit to Apple Store in Belfast.

Feb 15, 2014 10:14 AM in response to David Shufflebottom

David, I called Apple Support for something else two days ago and asked about this problem also. I was moved from the first level support to a senior support person. Net net, the problem was with my photo library. iTunes couldn't communicate. The solution after lots of troubleshooting, three separate calls (I spend 1:15 the first day and scheduled two follow up calls yesterday each 30 min long), and four separate Apple support people, was to export my photos to a folder, creating a new library and importing them back. Once I did that, I had to do a manual step to also get my videos in my library because the export process for videos didn't work. I also had to manually move the videos to each event because the manual process didn't keep the integrity of the events.

As a result of this process, I lost the albums I had created, the faces and places tagging. I was ok with that because what mattered to me more was the ability to sync with iTunes.

A few things to watch, the Apple support person told me that if I had used iMovie with some of my movie files, it could have been a problem with the location of the videos as they movies would be pointing to a different library. To be honest, I didn't pay too much attention because I don't do this. I use premiere pro and have a different repository for my important videos.

I stopped doing the time machine while I did this process in order to avoid having my 100GB+ library copied more than once.

Lastly, I have another appointment for later today with the same Apple support individual because he wants to gather technical data to send to the Apple development engineer. He told me that he has seen this problem in the past and has sent the information to the development engineers but so far there isn't a fix.

I have to say that even though the problem has taken a while to solve, it has felt like Apple has been there to provide the best available solution although the root problem is not fixed yet. The support individual has been very forthcoming about everything he knows, has called me back twice at the time agreed to work on this (the process of copying, and importing was such that it didn't make sense to have him wait when it was taking place due to the size of the library so we scheduled follow up calls).

I hope this helps. If you have questions, just reply here and I will get back with you.

Ipod (5g) cannot be synced (error -50)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.