Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean out REALLY stuck Trash Can

Just bought new 27" iMac...cleaning up external back up drives (using Time Machine). Moved old back up folder to trash and now it won't empty...says it is 7.4 TB when the original file was 550GB (or so)- and I only have a 1TB Fusion drive!

When using Secure Empty I get "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -22)."

When I try the Trash It app...it hangs and stops responding. Fileshredder did nothing.

When I go to Terminal and enter sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*...I am prompted for password- enter that then nothing (nothing shows as entered BTW).

What else can I do to empty this trash?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:25 PM

Deleting Time Machine backups doesn't appear to be straightforward. Have a look at this help resource courtesy of Pondini:

http://pondini.org/TM/12.html

17 replies

Jan 7, 2014 11:39 PM in response to stacystarkweather

First of all, the shell command you used to try to empty the Trash is incorrect. Had it been slightly more incorrect, you could have deleted all your data. Never use the shell to empty the Trash.

Second, you should not delete Time Machine snapshots yourself. Time Machine does that automatically when necessary.

When deleting snapshots in the Finder fails, the only way to recover is to erase the volume and start over. Do that only if you have at least one other complete backup of all data.

Jan 8, 2014 6:19 PM in response to stacystarkweather

Select the text on the line below by dragging across it. Don't include the blank space at the end of the line. Only the text should be highlighted.

ls -@Oaeln

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V), then press the space bar.

Now switch to the Finder and and select one of the items in the Trash. Drag into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting.

Jan 8, 2014 8:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

Be curious to see what you think...I am a person who backs up alot...in fact this started because I had to 1 TB drives...and one had my just retired Mac's backups and I wanted to use both so I figured I'd clean it out...I have two different back up drives running with full backs ups so if I need to revert/rebuild from a previous drive...I can.

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 0 20 - 102 Jan 5 19:44 .

com.apple.backup.SnapshotNumber 5

com.apple.backup.SnapshotVersion 1

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotCompletionDate 17

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotStartDate 17

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotState 2

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotTotalBytesCopied 7

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotType 2

0: ABCDEFAB-CDEF-ABCD-EFAB-CDEF0000000C deny add_file,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,writeattr,writeextattr,chown

drwxr-xr-x@ 51 0 20 - 1734 Jan 7 17:22 ..

com.apple.backupd.BackupMachineAddress 18

com.apple.backupd.HasRecoverySet 3

com.apple.backupd.HostUUID 37

com.apple.backupd.ModelID 7

0: ABCDEFAB-CDEF-ABCD-EFAB-CDEF0000000C deny add_file,delete,add_subdirectory,delete_child,writeattr,writeextattr,chown

drwxr-xr-x@ 58 0 0 - 1972 Jan 7 17:22 Macintosh HD

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotVolumeFSEventStoreUUID 37

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotVolumeLastFSEventID 8

com.apple.backupd.SnapshotVolumeUUID 37

com.apple.backupd.VolumeBytesUsed 12

com.apple.backupd.VolumeIsCaseSensitive 1

com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineNewestSnapshot 50

com.apple.metadata:_kTimeMachineOldestSnapshot 50

Jan 8, 2014 9:39 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Mr. Davis- you actually cleared up somethings I had noticed- like when for awhile when I was actually successfully erasing backup files via trash I could see a corrsponding change right on the drive- have noticed this elsewhere but now I get it- the Trash isnt a place- it's a composite page of delete commonds from files spread far and wide throughout the drives.

No bad advice given here by the community members in Apple Discussions BTW- I took all my own bad advice from Internet searches long before coming here- including the shell command prompts. In general- I am comfortable exectuing Terminal commands and I am extra careful (and have been successful with certain commands in the past).

I would never do that without making sure I was fully backed up---ironically my effort to be doubly backed is what led to this thread in the first place...sorry to have wasted folks time- but I learned alot.

Thanks to everyone for their efforts.

Jan 8, 2014 9:44 PM in response to stacystarkweather

Many try, but there is a very knowledgable person in this thread who likes to shove his knowledge in your face, make inflammatory comments, and insult you constantly, rather than simply explaining why "X is better than Y." I am sure he could convince me and many others of "X" really being better if he took a step off his high horse.

How to clean out REALLY stuck Trash Can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.