Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetGear > Airport Express > Ethernet > XBOX 360 > XBOX Live ?

I've been doing some research and seem to keep finding conflicting answers to the following question.

I want to get a new NetGear Nighthawk router to replace my existing Airport Express (2nd Gen). The Express signal is weak in some further rooms and from what I've read, the Nighthawk, with its external antennas will create way more range. Once I have the NetGear router working, I then want to take the Airport Express and place it in one of those back rooms, have it pick up the WiFi (now provided by the NetGear Nighthawk) and then connect an Ethernet cable from the Express to my XBOX 360 for XBOX Live connectivity.

I need the Express to find the NetGear WiFi wirelessly because I can't run a cord from the NetGear to the Express. I have read some forums and answers saying there's no way to do this because Airport routers can only talk to other Airport routers, so I'm simply out of luck. I have read other things saying you can do it no problem, and then everything else in between. Some say to set the Express up as a bridge and it will work, and then the next thing says that if you set Express up as a bridge then it disables the Port not the back so I wouldn't be able to connect it via Ethernet to anything.

Then there's the whole compatibility with XBOX Live issue. Some things have said Apple routers work fine with Xbox Live and then there's say they don't. It's really gotten quite confusing at this point and I'm hoping some of you WiFi router Xbox ninjas out there can help me out once and for all.

I could always pop the $60 bucks or so on the Microsoft XBOX WiFi adapter, but I've heard that thing is cheesy at best and doesn't provide the best of connectivity, plus I would like to avoid anything Else Microsoft making its way into my home if possible. :)

Thanks in advance for reading my long-winded post and for replying.

Airport

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 8:57 PM

8 replies

Jan 7, 2014 9:12 PM in response to FunkNinja

If you are going to use a Netgear router......then you would want to use a Netgear extender or adapter for the Xbox.

My advice.....always use products from the same manufacturer for the routing/wireless extension purposes on the network....to insure compatibility and ease of setup.

Even if it might cost a bit more initially, you will save yourself a lot of headaches later on.

Jan 7, 2014 9:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, I was just hoping to re-purpose the Express since it's less than a year old and did cost $100. I was thinking about the new Extreme but I'm not sure how much better the range will be with the antennas still stuffed inside, plus some CNET reviews (I trust those cats for some reason) had the Netgear Nighthawk providing more range.

Jan 7, 2014 9:17 PM in response to FunkNinja

I understand, but unless you have a ton of time and patience to finally figure out for yourself whether the Express might work....all the conflicting advice that you will receive won't help much.

Some will say it works while some will say it won't. That won't change no matter how many people post here or on other forums that you might see.

Jan 7, 2014 11:34 PM in response to FunkNinja

If you wish to test/use an (802.11n) AirPort Express in client mode, the following documents may be of interest to you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2272

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1731

Otherwise, it should be possible to use a third-party wireless Ethernet bridge (also known as a gaming or media adapter; examples include Linksys WET610N and Netgear WNCE2001) in a case like this.

Jan

Jan 9, 2014 3:04 PM in response to FunkNinja

OK, so here's the deal on this once and for all. ignore anything else you read about this because this is the correct 411:

I used the new NetGear NightHawk and hooked it up to my Router (The Nighthawk is replacing the Airport Extreme I was using, that didn't provide enough range for my liking).

I then took the Airport Extreme and reset it to factory defaults using Airport Utility from my iPad Air. This was a hair tricky because I thought I could just plug the Express in and the Airport Utility would find it, but it didn't. After some fiddling I ended up taking an Ethernet cable and connecting the Express to one of the LAN ports on the new Nighthawk, at which point the Airport Utility on my iPad Air then found that bad boy.

Once the Airport Express was set back to factory default, I then used the Airport Utility to have the Express "Join an Existing Network" (this being the new NetGear WiFi network). If you need to know how to do this, just search for it here, or Google it and you can find the steps.

At this point I was following instructions I had read about putting the Airport Express in 'Bridge' or 'Client' mode, but for the life of me couldn't find a setting like this in the Airport Utility. After some Googling, it turns out that once you reset the Airport Express to factory defaults and choose the "Join Existing Network" option, that in fact puts that puppy in Bridge mode.

I unplugged the Airport Express and disconnected it from the new NetGear router.

I then took the Airport Express and set it on top of my XBOX 360 in another room way on the other side of the house, and plugged the Power in. it took a minute, but by-golly that light on the front turned green. I then plugged the Aiport Express into the XBOX 360 via an Ethernet cable (use the LAN <-> port on the Express, not the WAN port).

I fired up the XBOX 360 and it immediately logged into XBOX Live and it's working like a dream. It may be worth noting that I did follow some instructions in the NetGear manual about setting up priority using the QoS settings, which prioritize the signal for gaming, surfing etc.

So basically the NetGear router will talk with the Airport Express (atleast for this XBOX Live bridge-mode scenario here). Also, the XBOX Live will work with an Airport router without any fiddling, so any incompatibility issues that used to exist are now gone and the two are friendly together.

Sorry about this long drawn-out explanation, but I sure could have used this when I started my endeavor, so I hope this helps someone someday too.

Adios! Apple Rules and Microsoft doesn't! 🙂

Oct 23, 2015 8:29 PM in response to FunkNinja

HOW TO SET UP AN AIRPORT EXPRESS AS A RANGE EXTENDER

Found this article, went through the steps, confirm it works.http://www.maccomputerlessons.com/how_to_wirelessly_join_connect_to_wireless_net work_airport_express.htm

In this section I will teach you how to wirelessly connect an Airport Express device to an existing wireless network that is associated with a wireless modem/router, as opposed to creating a new wireless network like in the previous section. In other words, the airport express device will be connected wirelessly to the wireless modem/router's wireless network. This means the airport express device is joining (connecting to) that wireless network and not its own, in the same way an ipad would join that wireless network. The advantage of this is that you can then take the airport express device, now connected wirelessly to the wireless modem/router's wireless network, into another room and then attach it to a networked hard drive, standard printer, apple tv or other internet based gadget.

I have since enabled the wireless router functionality of my NetGear R7500 wireless modem/router, by ticking and applying its ENABLE WIRELESS ACCESS POINT wireless setting, so that I now have a wireless internet connection coming from its wireless network called: Yoingco. It will be this Yoingco wireless network that I will be joining the airport express device to. I have also, purposely, reset my Airport Express device so that it's using default Factory Settings again. Although this step is not required, it can sometimes help to avoid troubleshooting later on.

Resetting was done by pressing down on the Reset Button at the back of the airport express device for about 6 Seconds until its amber light starting blinking rapidly. Although this worked, one thing worth noting here is that the Airport Utility application together with OS X (El Capitan) will try and make the airport express device recollect/remember the wireless network it was previously connected to, in order to rejoin it. This is good if you want to try and rejoin that old wireless network, but bad if you want it forgotten. In this case I want it forgotten. So before doing anything else the first step to joining a new wireless network, after a factory reset, is to remove all recollection of the old, previous, wireless network. This is done by clicking on the AIRPORT EXPRESS icon and then clicking on the FORGET button within the Airport Utility application window that appears when you first switch on your airport express device.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.0 Click on the FORGET button to tell the airport express device to forget the previously connected wireless network

Now that the previously connected wireless network has been forgotten, the next step is to get the Airport Utility application and OS X (Mountain Lion) to recognize the airport express device again. This is done by clicking on the OTHER AIRPORT BASE STATIONS (1) drop-down menu in the top left corner of the Airport Utility application window and selecting your airport express device (base station), which should be the only one available. In this case the Airport Express 0caa7e.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.1 Click on the OTHER AIRPORT BASE STATIONS (1) drop-down menu and select your Airport Express device (base station)

As the airport express device has been reset to factory settings and been told to forget the previously connected wireless network, the Airport Utility application is forced to set up the airport express device again; from scratch.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.2 The airport express device is being set up again, from scratch, due to the Factory Reset earlier.

You will know when the airport express device has been, initially, set up (pre-configured) because the Airport Utility application window will display the first step of its Installation Wizard, which contains the standard "Create A Network" message and the options (buttons and menus) for creating a new wireless network or joining/extending an existing wireless network. In the example below, because you will not be creating a new wireless network, you will need to click on the OTHER OPTIONS button to proceed.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.3 Click on the OTHER OPTIONS button to join an existing wireless network

When the Other Options appear the default setting (default option) called CREATE A NEW NETWORK will be selected. However, because you want to join an existing wireless network you need to select the setting (option) called ADD TO AN EXISTING NETWORK instead before clicking on the NEXT button.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.4 To join an existing wireless network select the ADD TO AN EXISTING NETWORK option and then click on the NEXT button

The next step of the Installation Wizard (Airport Utility application) is to ask you which wireless network you want to join (connect to). By default you should see your currently connected, wireless modem/router, wireless network listed as the first choice, but if you have more than one wireless network available (i.e. one modem/router wireless network and a neighbour's wireless network) you can select one of them from the CONNECT TO drop-down menu. Once you have a wireless network selected click on the NEXT button to continue.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.5 Select the wireless network you wish to join and then click on the NEXT button to proceed

With a wireless network selected you are then asked to enter a password for the airport express device (base station). Simply type your preferred password into the PASSWORD edit box, verify it by typing it into the VERIFY edit box and then click on the NEXT button. Airport Utility will then set up the rest of the airport express device for you whereby it is then connected to (joined to) the wireless network you have just selected and therefore using its internet connection wirelessly.

Note Well - The password you enter here is for the Airport Express device (Base Station) only. When joining an existing wireless network the installation wizard knows it should use the already logged in, existing, wireless network's password; that it gets from the keychain. If you are currently logged out of the existing wireless network (the wireless network you want to join) you will be asked for its password.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.6 Give the airport express device (base station) a password - Type it into the PASSWORD and VERIFY edit boxes

User uploaded file

Fig 1.7 Airport Utility is setting up the internet connection between your airport express device and the selected wireless network

User uploaded file

Fig 1.8 Your airport express device is now connected to your selected wireless network, now using its internet connection wirelessly.

When you see the 'Setup Complete' message click on the DONE button (above) - You should then see following diagram with green lights, indicating a valid internet connection and joining of the selected wireless network.

User uploaded file

Fig 1.9 The green lights indicate a valid internet connection and successful joining of your selected wireless network

So just to clarify; In the above set up process I did not have the airport express device connected to an ethernet cable. The joining of (connection to) the Yoingco wireless network was made purely by the airport express device's built-in router that was able to detect (pickup) and join the Yoingco wireless network wirelessly without cables.

Oct 23, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Fluid5Design

Your AirPort Express has "joined" the network there, so it could be used for AirPlay or to connect a compatible printer to the USB port.

But, the AirPort Express does not "extend" or provide any additional wireless signal strength when it "joins" a network.

Not sure what your goal was with the Express, but if it was to have the Express "repeat" or "extend" the existing wireless network....it is not doing that. If you have a Mac computer, you can test to confirm this very quickly and very easily with a few steps.

For the Express to "repeat" or "extend" a network, the final setup screen will indicate that the Express has been set up to "extend" the wireless network.

The Express does not "extend" the network when it "joins" a network......a fact that confuses quite a few users.

NetGear > Airport Express > Ethernet > XBOX 360 > XBOX Live ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.