Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Locate Original Files in Aperture Once Version Deleted from Library

I have a very large aperture library (250GB). For a long time, I have maintained my library by deleting only the "versions" of photos that I do not like (File-Delete Version), not realizing that the originals were still there. I would like to also delete the originals (master), since they are large RAW files taking up a lot of space. But with the versions now gone from my library, I do not know how to locate the original files to delete. Is there any way for me to do this?

I feel like there should be a way to find out if there are any original files not associated with a corresponding version in the library, to allow you to recover accidently deleted files. That would be a start, but I can't find a way to do it. Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 10:48 PM

3 replies

Jan 7, 2014 11:26 PM in response to MitchJess

When you delete using "File > Delete > Version", this will only delete the version, if your images are refrenced, but if the images are managed (the originals stored inside the library), Aperture will also delete the original file, if it is the last version. see Frank Caggiano's User Tip:

Deleting version also deleted the master

So there should not be any unlinked originals in your Aperture library. Is your lbrary referenced or managed?

I feel like there should be a way to find out if there are any original files not associated with a corresponding version in the library, to allow you to recover accidently deleted files.

Aperture has a way to find orphaned originals in the aperture library, if they have been accidentally created: Repairing or rebuilding the Aperture library will collect isolated original files in a "recovered" project. Try that, if you suspect that you are having isolated originals in your Aperture library.

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

Regards

Léonie

Jan 8, 2014 8:35 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your advice. But if deleting the version also deletes the master, why is there a separate "File-Delete Original Image and All Versions" option? Also, I visited the Apple store recently and was told that deleting the version does not delete the master, and they even showed me on their computers where files deleted from the library were stored (they did this by "File-Open Library in iPhoto," highlighting all the images, and then "File-Reveal in Finder-Original File." All the highlighted files in Finder are in the library, and the unhighlighted have been deleted. This didn't work for me, however, because it opened a separate Finder window for each image, unlike at the Apple store where the entire library opened in one window.) Confused? So am I.

My images are managed, not referenced.

Mitch

Jan 8, 2014 9:21 AM in response to MitchJess

Also, I visited the Apple store recently and was told that deleting the version does not delete the master, and they even showed me on their computers where files deleted from the library were stored (they did this by "File-Open Library in iPhoto," highlighting all the images, and then "File-Reveal in Finder-Original File."

For a managed library: "Delete version" will only delete the selected version, if there is more than one version of the the same image. But if you only have one version left, delete version will delete the original file as well. An original is of no use, if you do not have a version to reference it. The " File-Delete Original Image and All Versions" option is there to be able to delete all versions at once, together with the original file.

For a referenced library you will be prompted, if you want to delete the referenced original, if you are deleting the last version.

Just try it for a managed library. Import an image and use "Delete version" for the last version. The version will be moved to Aperture's Trash. And if you empty the trash, you will find the original version in the Trash in your Dock. And it cannot be put back from the Trash.

You will be prompted, if you really want to delete the file, when you empty Aperture's Trash.

User uploaded file

The App Store genius must have shown you a referenced library, when the original was not removed after deleting the version, or they did not delete the last version, if it was a managed library.

How to Locate Original Files in Aperture Once Version Deleted from Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.