Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can 10.1 work?

Not sure how this is supposed to work . . .

I discovered to my horror that FCP X 10.1 now COPIES every clip I brig in from another Library. The popup message says that if the file is stored externally, it will be linked and not copied - that's not true on my system.

I moved my project to the Movies folder on a spare system drive that I have, to test this.

Then I rebooted into that system drive and opened the moved project.

Next, I opened a library that's on my 4TB G-Tech drive and added a 10 second chunk of one of its clips to the project storyline.

The popup message showed up, saying external media would be linked not copied, and I clicked OK.

Once the beachball stopped spinning, I selected the clip in the storyline and pressed Shift+F to be sure I had the correct clip in the browser, then I selected that and pressed Shift+Cmd+R to reveal in finder.

Guess what?

Dropping that 10 sec clip on the storyline had brought the entire 1.23 GB file onto the system drive (movies folder).

This is unworkable for me - unless someone can suggest where I'm going wrong.

I have a large number of Events with hours and hours of footage - if I put them all in one Library, the MacPro grinds nearly to a halt.

If I keep the media in different Libraries, everything will bet copied over and over again as I access different Events from different Projects.

Once more, back to the drawing board for me, I fear.

Andy

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 1:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 1:38 AM

For the way you work it sounds as if when you import media you need to import it to a location that's external to your library. When you update projects and events from older versions the media is put inside the library. You probably need to use the consolidate library function to move the media to an external location so you only have symlinks in the library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 1:38 AM in response to andynick

For the way you work it sounds as if when you import media you need to import it to a location that's external to your library. When you update projects and events from older versions the media is put inside the library. You probably need to use the consolidate library function to move the media to an external location so you only have symlinks in the library.

How can 10.1 work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.