Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating existing Macbook to mobile user on OS X Server

My task is to convert an existing Macbook with data in it's home folder to be used with mobility settings on an existing

network. As I have so far only set-up brand new machine I don't have any experience fr this kind of scenario in respect of

the existing data.

O.K. a back-up of the home directory needs to be done without saying but what then ?

Simply copying the existing home folder contents to the server where the user and his home folder obviously has to be created ?

Any advice is more then apreciated.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 7:23 AM

Here's the official Apple sequence: How to convert a local user account to a network user account (HT5338)

2 replies

Feb 1, 2014 10:49 AM in response to MrHoffman

I'm looking into doing something similar for one of my users. In this case, I think she'd prefer to keep the user data on the mobile device but authenticate via OD so services will work. We could skip mobile accounts but then the laptop wouldn't be mobile.

I'm looking (and still searching) for right settings in Profile Manager to accomplish this. I suspect the answer lies in both the user account settings and in PM?

Tim

Migrating existing Macbook to mobile user on OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.