Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5 and Mavericks on MacBook Pro mid 2009

I feel a bit unsecure whether or not to upgrade to Mavericks as long as there are reports about problems with Aperture on older machines in version 3.5. I currently run Aperture 3.4.5 on my MacBook Pro mid 2009 with 8 GB RAM with OS 10.7.5.

From the discussion I have understood that I have to upgrade to Aperture 3.5 when I upgrade to Mavericks.

Is it safe to upgrade, or is it better to wait.

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 2:45 AM

No, you don't have to upgrade, 3.4.5 runs on Mavericks, but there are some small benefits to doing so (better iOS7 compatibility for imported pictures, and if you have a retail version of Aperture it will be cross-graded to the App store version making it easier to re-install on new computers).

However, there are so many bug reports for 3.5 / 3.5.1 I'd strongly advise against people upgrading. I've submitted 4 bugs myself and there seem to be many many more on other Aperture sites for things I don't use.

If there is no pressing need to upgrade, I'd wait for both Mavericks and Aperture to stabilise.

Andy

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 2:45 AM in response to Reistad

No, you don't have to upgrade, 3.4.5 runs on Mavericks, but there are some small benefits to doing so (better iOS7 compatibility for imported pictures, and if you have a retail version of Aperture it will be cross-graded to the App store version making it easier to re-install on new computers).

However, there are so many bug reports for 3.5 / 3.5.1 I'd strongly advise against people upgrading. I've submitted 4 bugs myself and there seem to be many many more on other Aperture sites for things I don't use.

If there is no pressing need to upgrade, I'd wait for both Mavericks and Aperture to stabilise.

Andy

Jan 8, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Najinsky

I have a retail version, so it is probably wise to upgrade later on. But it seems like it is better to wait before upgrading Aperture. I assume that Apple will fix the problem with memory drainage in Aperture 3.5.

Thank you for your answer, that was really helpful. I will follow the discussions about stability and development of Aperture and Mavericks closely before I upgrade.

Jan 8, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Reistad

Of course it is your choice and if the current version meets your requirements then there is no need to upgrade.

But just to be clear for the overwhelming majority of users 3.5 and Mavericks is running fine. Remember the people who come here looking for help are the ones having problems. The ones not having problems are not posting here (or on any other web site).

So while being cautious is a good thing,you shouldnt base your decisions on what you read on a few web sites

regards

Jan 8, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Not sure what 'numerous bugs' there are but for the majority of users 3.5 with Mavericks is running fine.

Known/Reported bugs/issues in Aperture/Mavericks:

• Automatic distortion correction of RX100 raws broken (DCR 5.02) (again)
  • Purple tint on long exposure shots with Olympus EM-1
  • 'Weird' cropping/stretching for EM-1 raws shot in 3:2 orientation
  • Levels causing a colour shift when activated but not adjusted (again)
  • Onscreen Proofing not showing correct colour preview of image
  • Color space mismatches with exported files
  • Version names not shown correctly when edits stacked with originals
  • Random 'unsupported image formats' for supported images
  • Unpredictable plug-in behaviour for popular pre-existing plug-ins
  • Memory leaks for brushed adjustments (and other areas)
  • Multi monitor configurations not working as expected
  • Viewer randomly jumps back to last edit image
  • Browser loses synchronisation with viewer after changing version from JPEG to RAW (or vv)
  • Brushed adjustments lag seriously behind on-screen brush strokes making it unusable
  • Output sharpening once again omitted or applied at the wrong intensity for resized images

And still more reported through various sources.

I've been a fan of Aperture since day one, an advocator and supporter. If I was reviewing the App today I be pulling my hair out over its rating as my head is saying 'currently not fit for purpose'. It feels like it's been placed under the care of a junior, as several of the issues seem re-introductions of previous issues. I'm confident it will recover and resume its places a formidable raw workflow solution, but so far 3.5.x is another low point in its evolution.

Andy

Jan 8, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Najinsky

Yep as with any new release there are people reporting problems. Some are legitimate some are the normal noise every new release seems to draw out.

And again I will state that for the majority of users 3.5 and Maverick is working fine. To state as you did that this is another low point for Aperture (when were the other low points in your opinion?) is really not much help.

As I wrote to the OP each user needs to decide if and when any update is needed or worthwhile to install. If the version you are running is working for you then in most cases there is no need to upgrade. But being told that 3.5 and Mavericks is bug ridden is just plain false and doesn't help the conversation.

The OP has made his or her decision so there is no real use in carrying on this conversation.

regards

Jan 8, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Yep as with any new release there are people reporting problems. Some are legitimate some are the normal noise every new release seems to draw out.

And again I will state that for the majority of users 3.5 and Maverick is working fine. To state as you did that this is another low point for Aperture (when were the other low points in your opinion?) is really not much help.

The last low point was Aperture 3.0. It created chaos. You must must have been around then and saw it. Introducing faces and switching it on by default killing performance which combined with the memory leaks then crashed Aperture corrupting the libraries etc.

It needed 3 0.x updates in 2 months to get it functional (and then with work-arounds). Here's the first couple of lines from the updates:

"Aperture 3.0.1 update improves overall stability and addresses a number of issues in Aperture 3, including: upgrading libraries from earlier versions of Aperture, importing libraries from iPhoto, importing photos directly from a camera, memory usage when processing heavily-retouched photos, face recognition processing,"

"Aperture 3.0.2 update improves overall stability and fixes issues in a number of areas. The key areas addressed include: upgrading Aperture 1.x and 2.x libraries, importing libraries from iPhoto or from earlier versions of Aperture"

"Aperture 3.0.3 update improves overall stability and fixes issues in a number of areas. etc"

It wasn't until October that we finally got:

"Aperture 3.1 update greatly improves the overall stability and performance while fixing many major issues"

And since then it's been superb again. Until 3.5.

I don't come here to bad-mouth Aperture, I come to help and learn. The OP expressed concerns about the upgrade based on stability issues reported here. Working with Aperture every day, I concur, I'm encountering the issues daily (because they affect areas I use) and to me it's been a step back closer to the 3.0.x days (but not as bad) rather than a step forward.

But I'm just one person. If others report they are not seeing the issues, that will help the OP get a better balance.

But I believe in calling it how I see it and despite being a huge Apertue fan, the 3.5 issues have dissapointed me. It seemed to be a simple maintenance update, but has only created issues for me, not added or solved anything I need. I only upgraded because it seemed sensible to install the 'Mavericks' version after installing Mavericks. But if I could go back to 3.4.5 I would. I simply think Apple did a poor job here and see no reason to say otherwise.

But I detect from your post that my post may have antagonised you, so let me apologise for that as it was not my intent. I have a lot of respect for you regulars, and all the help you give people.

Regards,

Andy

Jan 8, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Najinsky

Andy,

I upgraded to Aperture 3.5.1 and MacOS 10.9.1, because I wanted the iCloud compatibility with my IOS 7 devices. Since then, I am having problems with memory leaks, but they are independent of Aperture, even if Aperture is never launched, and only Mail and Safari running, the memory will leak and finally a panic occur. So I suspect, the memory probems we are seeing occasionally in Aperture are due to a bug in Mavericks, not in Aperture. See a screenshot here:

Re: Is there a memory leak in Aperture 3.5?

-- Léonie

Aperture 3.5 and Mavericks on MacBook Pro mid 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.