Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini late 2012 Failed to Restore Time Machine Backup

Try to restore time machine backup to my mac mini. I have made backup right after I got the machine from apple. Now due to some reason I am trying to restore it but failing again and again. Error is something like this: User uploaded file

I have erase disk as default which is required for intel based model but still it didn't work. Please help me out.

Further I have also tried installing fresh 10.8 OSX by making bootable usb. It also didn't work. A question mark appears right after I select USB Bootable Drive at start.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 2:28 AM

17 replies

Jan 8, 2014 10:34 AM in response to waisi

Something wrong happened when you tried to make the bootable USB drive. What you posted is different than what is on mine and I successfully used mine to create a ML USB install. Try again with DiskMakerX. There FAQ said there was a problem with version 3>0 and that has been fixed in later version.

Jan 8, 2014 11:18 AM in response to waisi

If you're trying to reinstall OS X 10.8 and your Mac Mini came with it pre-installed, make sure you have an internet connection and restart your MM using Command+Option+R until you see a spinning globe to boot into Apple's server. You should see a progress bar under the globe and then the OS X Utilities menu after it completes booting into Apple's server. From there you can Reinstall OS X. My late-2012 MM came with ML installed and if I use Internet Recovery I get OS X 10.8.5.

Jan 8, 2014 12:07 PM in response to keg55

Hey, thanks for your reply, I am trying to install 10.8 while shipped version was 10.8.2. Now question is why isn't it restoring backup from time machine which I made right after getting MM from store?

I followed this procedure:

1- Went to DU from boot.

2- Erased the Main HDD to Mac Extended Journel.

3- Came back to Boot and Tried resotring backup which failed.

4- Then I made bootable usb of 10.8 which also failed.

Right now I am in home and started an online recovery from boot menu before coming back from office. I hope it works and install the OS.

I'll get back here in morning.

Jan 8, 2014 2:00 PM in response to waisi

I can't answer why your USB installer for 10.8 isn't working and I'm not sure why your back up (TM) isn't working. I do know Internet Recovery works but will install the most current version of the OS (10.8.5).

I know my back up strategy includes a clone of my MM so in case TM fails, I have an alternative plan. Same if my clone fails, I have TM.

Mac Mini late 2012 Failed to Restore Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.