Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express can't extend wireless network

Airport express(A1264) can't extend wireless network. It seems that Airport express can't find my home Wi-Fi network. Amber light is blinking, and AirPort Utility of MacBook also can't find Airport express.

If AE is connected with TC via LAN cable, amber light is blinking with message "Wireless Network" (This Airport base station is set up to join a specific wireless network that can't be found...)

It was successful only once, but all failed after that.

Is there solution for this problem?

[My system]

Time capsule 4th generation

Airport express 1st generation (A1264)

[Settings]

Time capsule (ethernet connected)

- Create a wireless network

- 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Automatic)

- 2.4GHz / 5GHz Channel (Autmatic)

- WPA2 Personal

Airport express

- Extend a wireless network

- WPA2 Personal

- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network name and Password is set up

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 6:39 AM

AirPort Utility in Mavericks will literally configure the Express for you automatically, assuming that the Express is not defective.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable that is attached to the AirPort Express

Power up the Express for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button for 10 seconds and then release and allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable from the LAN <-> port on the Time Capsule to the AirPort Express

Open up Airport Utility

Click on the the Other Wi-Fi Devices button

Click on AirPort Express xxxxxxx

AirPort Utility will take a minute to analyze the network, then announce that the Express will be configured to extend the Time Capsule network

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express and click Next

Now notice that the message will indicate that the Express is being configured to extend using Ethernet. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it. You should be all set.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 6:39 AM in response to terukim

AirPort Utility in Mavericks will literally configure the Express for you automatically, assuming that the Express is not defective.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable that is attached to the AirPort Express

Power up the Express for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button for 10 seconds and then release and allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable from the LAN <-> port on the Time Capsule to the AirPort Express

Open up Airport Utility

Click on the the Other Wi-Fi Devices button

Click on AirPort Express xxxxxxx

AirPort Utility will take a minute to analyze the network, then announce that the Express will be configured to extend the Time Capsule network

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express and click Next

Now notice that the message will indicate that the Express is being configured to extend using Ethernet. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it. You should be all set.

Jan 8, 2014 6:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your answer. But I want to extend a wireless network (not using ethernet)

Because Airport Express and Time Capsule cannot be connect via ethernet cable.

(Time Capsule is installed in My room and Airport Express is in the Living room.)

In case Extend a wireless network, AirPort Utility draws connection between AE and TC with dotted line.

Extend using Ethernet method draws with solid line.

Jan 8, 2014 7:09 PM in response to terukim

Sounds like you are going through about the same exact thing I did a month or two ago.

I tried several times to get the Airport Express to extend the network from the Time Capsule.

I kept getting many errors.

One of them was "This network can't be extended". and a few other errors I don't remember.

I kept trying.

You need to reset the Express to factory. You may need to do this several times.

Finally, I was able to see the Express on the compuer and let the Wizard setup the Express to "Exented" the network.

It finally worked.

Resetting the device:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

Keep trying. Keep resetting the Express to factory until it finally takes.

Now, the setup is working like was expected.

Jan 8, 2014 7:16 PM in response to terukim

If AE is connected with TC via LAN cable, amber light is blinking with message "Wireless Network" (This Airport base station is set up to join a specific wireless network that can't be found...)

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted to do.

Since you did tell us that you had the Express connected with an Ethernet cable, I assumed that was how you wanted to configure the Express.

But I want to extend a wireless network (not using ethernet)

Because Airport Express and Time Capsule cannot be connect via ethernet cable.

Follow the same setup as above....and do not connect an Ethernet cable.

Keep the Express near the Time Capsule for the setup. Once you have a green light, move the Express to a point that is about half way between the Time Capsule and area that needs more wireless coverage.

If you reset the Express several times and try the setup several times without success, I think you have to suspect a defective Express.

Airport express can't extend wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.