Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Store photos/videos on Time Capsule?

I have an Airport Time Capsule. Is it possible to store photos and videos on the Time Capsule (as an external hard drive) so that I can delete them from my MacBook? I am running out of space on my MacBook, and I want to be able to delete them from the MacBook to create space.

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 8:28 AM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2014 9:38 AM in response to boolaboo

Store files on the TC.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5748414?answerId=24380694022#24380694022

This is asked several times a day.. obviously people are struggling with their latest SSD being too small.

The TC is not suitable for network file server.. but many people having no choice press it into service as such.

It cannot be partitioned. It was and is and ever shall be a backup device for Time Machine.

Major issues.

1. No backup.. no way Time Machine can backup a network drive. No place to backup to.. So all your files will be at risk. And you will need to buy a third party like CCC to do backup.

2. The TC cannot be partitioned and mixing TM backups and data is not great.

3. The drive is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. there is no controls.

4. iPhoto in particular can easily corrupt its entire library with wireless networking causing a disconnection to one photo. Even if you do this moving of files;;; do not move your photo library... you have been warned!!

5. iTunes will constantly lose connection to the library. The disk is too slow to respond.. itunes on the computer will constantly spit out errors. Even in the midst of streaming the TC can spin down the disk due to caching.

6. Do not use any live files on the TC no matter what else you do.. if you edit files in whatever program the file must be on the local hard disk.

7. The only suitable location for most libraries is a computer. You can plug in an external hard disk.

Read pondini for some work arounds.

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

May 3, 2015 12:53 AM in response to jmiller569

Apple is the one who says not to use network drives for iphoto library..

That means an active library.. if you store the library that is ok.. but if you want to actively copy, edit and paste files.. then you will eventually trash the library.. it applies to all network drives.. not the TC alone. The issue is the design of storage access in iphoto.

If you store the photos as raw you will have no such trouble.

BUT apple just introduced photo and it maybe different.. It is icloud based so perhaps it is more network aware than iphoto was.. As yet.. I cannot find any specific info.. except that Apple seem to want to force everyone onto large iCloud accounts.

iTunes.. can work fine as long as you have really fast connections.. and can overcome network issues with hard disk, spin up spin down.. again this is standard network issue.. not TC.. alone.

Using anything on network drives.. implies that backup is being handled outside of apple OS.. because apple do not sell a backup app that can do network.

There are third party solutions. As I have already indicated.

So most of it is up to you..

Apple designed most of the applications stand alone.. you are attempting to use them as Network clients.. and that can have severe implications.

Store photos/videos on Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.