Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro (Lion) loses wireless printer connection?

Why does my MacBook Pro (10.7.5) lose wireless printer (Epson XP-610) connection?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 8:38 AM

9 replies

Jan 10, 2014 1:49 PM in response to Nutsnbolts

Hey there Nutsnbolts,

It sounds like your Wi-Fi enabled printer is not staying connected consistently. I would recommend these troubleshooting steps from the article named:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3147

USB printers and Bonjour-enabled network printers

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Jan 14, 2014 10:21 AM in response to sterling r

I make the wireless connection with the Epson printer.

It works great for one job.

Later I will try to print a different job and I get the message:

LOOKING FOR PRINTER

COMMUNICATION ERROR

THE PRINTER IS NOT CONNECTED

I delete the job.

I then open the Print/ Scan pane. (again!) Delete the printer.

Reinstall the printer and rest the printing system.

I then, Select new print job and the printer starts up and prints perfectly.

I try to print a different job and Nothing - back to square one.

Oct 11, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Nutsnbolts

I have the same problem (will print once after running WiFi setup wizard then will not work again until I run the wizard again...every single time I want to print!) with my MacBook Pro (10.9.5) and my Epson XP-610. I believe the problem is either with the MacBook OS (because my wife's Dell laptop never experiences this problem) or the Epson is just not designed to work as seamlessly with Apple products as it does with Microsoft.

Feb 16, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Nutsnbolts

Same thing started happening to me. This only started when I upgraded from an older Airport Extreme to a brand new Airport Time Capsule.

Instead of re-running the wifi-setup wizard (because that got old), I tried restarting my Airport Time Capsule. This allowed me to print. Epson has an FAQ, I don't think I can paste the link into my response.

Their steps at a high level were:

1) can the printer print period

2) delete pending print jobs

3) delete and add from your computer

No luck?

4) restart your router & restart your computer

No luck?

5) reinstall product software (multiple steps on your computer/router)

Hopefully, the problem is solved at #4 for me.

Apr 11, 2015 8:43 AM in response to paulfromabingdon

I have an HP and experience the same issue. Funny thing is at my office I have two wireless printers - three counting a label maker. One is an HP design jet and one a Brother multi-purpose printer. All work without any issues. At home I have a mac mini that I try to share a printer with. Printer is HP and connected to airport express with USB. It works once when first setting up or restarting my macbook pro. The next day or after macbook goes into sleep mode it cannot find the printer. Nobody has a solution except to reset restart re re re….

Dec 10, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Nutsnbolts

I struggled with this problem for ages. I tried all the restarting options, and reinstalling drivers, but none worked. What worked for me was on the printer control panel the option "restore network default"s. I then reconnected printer to the network and everything worked just fine until a power outage caused the printer to drop its wireless again. I then restored network defaults on the wireless control panel on the printer, connected to the network and it all worked fine. My other solution until I found this fix was to buy a printer from a different manufacturer! It is a problem with EPSON printers, not a mac problem.

Why does my MacBook Pro (Lion) loses wireless printer connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.