Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Metadata List View

There are some unecessary fields in my List View of MetaData that crowd out needed information. I want to say that these are spurious, put there by the Aperture Gremlins that lurk in the halls of Apple.

I tried going to the HUD while in the Info pane to eliminate a few. I tried going to Customize MetaData under the View Menu. I can't seem to tailor these to my liking.

And what is it about the User Guide PDF that seems to skirt around real world uses? You just seem to have a hard time getting your hands on the tiller to steer the ship. (it's early. I'm frustrated. And I need a 2nd cup of coffee :-)

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), running an iMac

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:24 AM

It's actually all kind of logical once you figure out what's going on.

Here's the meta data sub-menu from the View menu:

User uploaded file

Before skipping onto the cutomize, look at what the menu is telling you.

For each view (Viewer / Browser) you have two different sets of metadata that you can display. A basic and an expanded. Use the 'switch to' options to switch between them.

Then on the customize screen:

User uploaded file

You can choose which data appears in each view, and in which order.

You use the 'View' selector at the top left to specify which view you are defining the data for. So here it's defining data for the 'Viewer' in 'Basic' mode.

So as seen above, in basic mode I get Badges, Ratings, Keywords, Label and Flag, in that order.

If I want a different order, I can drag the selected data into a different order. If I want additional data, I can use the categories on the left to find the piece of metadata and drag it to the right. And if I want to remove some data, I click the '-' to the right.

But this is only for the 'Viewer' in 'Basic' mode. To change the meta data for different views/modes such as Viewer in expanded mode, I have to change the 'View' to 'Viewer - Expanded', and for the list to 'List - Basic', 'List - Expanded' etc.

Does this help or do you have a specific problem you can't solve with this?

Andy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 10:24 AM in response to daikambu65

It's actually all kind of logical once you figure out what's going on.

Here's the meta data sub-menu from the View menu:

User uploaded file

Before skipping onto the cutomize, look at what the menu is telling you.

For each view (Viewer / Browser) you have two different sets of metadata that you can display. A basic and an expanded. Use the 'switch to' options to switch between them.

Then on the customize screen:

User uploaded file

You can choose which data appears in each view, and in which order.

You use the 'View' selector at the top left to specify which view you are defining the data for. So here it's defining data for the 'Viewer' in 'Basic' mode.

So as seen above, in basic mode I get Badges, Ratings, Keywords, Label and Flag, in that order.

If I want a different order, I can drag the selected data into a different order. If I want additional data, I can use the categories on the left to find the piece of metadata and drag it to the right. And if I want to remove some data, I click the '-' to the right.

But this is only for the 'Viewer' in 'Basic' mode. To change the meta data for different views/modes such as Viewer in expanded mode, I have to change the 'View' to 'Viewer - Expanded', and for the list to 'List - Basic', 'List - Expanded' etc.

Does this help or do you have a specific problem you can't solve with this?

Andy

Jan 8, 2014 10:40 AM in response to daikambu65

You should spend some time with the User Manual specifically the section Working with Metadata

But basically for what you want to do go to View->Metadata Display->Customize… and set the entries for List View to the fields you want to display. Note also that in the right hand column Display Order you can drag the fields around to place them in the order you want then to be displayed.

regards

How to change Metadata List View

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.