Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are photos save as .jpeg instead of .jpg? Can this be corrected?

Why are photos save as .jpeg instead of .jpg? Can this be corrected? In certain applications I have to manually change the ending so that the application can open the photo. Is there a setting to control to correct this?

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:54 AM

9 replies

Jan 8, 2014 11:30 AM in response to El Sifon

El Sifon wrote:

Why are photos save as .jpeg instead of .jpg? Can this be corrected? In certain applications I have to manually change the ending so that the application can open the photo. Is there a setting to control to correct this?

As stated above, they should be .jpg. And no, you cannot change designated file format. But why does it matter? Those are just two versions of the same file extension. What are you using that can't open either or both?

Jan 8, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

It normally doesn't matter but when I email a photo from my iPhone to my Surface tablet and then attempt to upload it to eBay the app doesn't see it if the photo if the extention is .jpeg. I have to manually change it each time to .jpg. The It only happens to photo that I email directly off my iphone using the iPhone mail app. If I download the camera roll to my computer hard drive they download as .jpg not .jpeg. It's really werid.

Jan 8, 2014 2:59 PM in response to El Sifon

When I mail photos (via GMail) from my iPhone they are received on my PC as .jpg files, even if sent at full resolution. Perhaps your e-mail service has imposed an attachment size limit, and in the process scales the attached picture down and alters the file extension?

What happens if you e-mail a photo from your iPhone and open the message from a PC instead of the Surface? What e-mail service are you using? (e.g. your ISP's service, or Yahoo, Gmail, iCloud, etc.) When you send the photo from your iPhone, are you selecting a reduced resolution?

Why are photos save as .jpeg instead of .jpg? Can this be corrected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.