Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Time Capsule has strict NAT on Xbox ONE. Need to disable Firewall?

So last night, I tried to get in a party with a few friends on the Xbox ONE. We couldn't communicate via voice because the console said that my NAT was strict and that I was behind a firewall. My wireless router is the latest AirPort Time Capsule.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make my NAT open? Preferably in a way that doesn't adversely affect my PS4, Xbox 360, or compromise my network security.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 11:36 AM

If the TC is the main router for the network then you are in trouble.

You can manually forward the required ports for the xbox one.

See http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

The problem is that using any fixed port forwarding will prevent the xbox 360 or the PS4 using those same ports.

Each port can only be allocated to a single IP.. once allocated it has to be disconnected before it can be reassigned..

upnp looks after this.. it has the ability to negotiate alternative ports.. and that is the only way you can get multiple xbox consoles onto the one public IP..

Apple have not used upnp as they use their own.. probably very good but limited and restricted NAT-PMP system.. (Think VHS and BetaMax.)

To get consoles working I would strongly recommend replacing the apple router with a router that is certified for xbox. It basically must support the microsoft upnp standard. The TC can still be used for Wireless as AP and networking switch and backup to the disk.. but move the routing to a standard windows compatible box.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/d efault.aspx

The much more expensive approach although much better is getting a block of public IPs.. so each console has a real addressable public IP.

Hopefully with IPv6 this will become a possibility.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 11:36 AM in response to dcandland

If the TC is the main router for the network then you are in trouble.

You can manually forward the required ports for the xbox one.

See http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

The problem is that using any fixed port forwarding will prevent the xbox 360 or the PS4 using those same ports.

Each port can only be allocated to a single IP.. once allocated it has to be disconnected before it can be reassigned..

upnp looks after this.. it has the ability to negotiate alternative ports.. and that is the only way you can get multiple xbox consoles onto the one public IP..

Apple have not used upnp as they use their own.. probably very good but limited and restricted NAT-PMP system.. (Think VHS and BetaMax.)

To get consoles working I would strongly recommend replacing the apple router with a router that is certified for xbox. It basically must support the microsoft upnp standard. The TC can still be used for Wireless as AP and networking switch and backup to the disk.. but move the routing to a standard windows compatible box.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/d efault.aspx

The much more expensive approach although much better is getting a block of public IPs.. so each console has a real addressable public IP.

Hopefully with IPv6 this will become a possibility.

Jan 8, 2014 11:55 AM in response to dcandland

A powerline extender should be transparent..

Isn't English wonderful language.. there is such a world of difference between "should be" and "is".

A piece of ethernet cable is transparent.. ie it will not block any protocol. Whenever you substitute something that uses a firmware and translates packets to a different medium.. you are in trouble.

The only way to find out is to try it.. but IMHO you will have no issues with normal PC/Games console protocols.. everything is tested carefully to make sure they work.. it is apple protocols, like bonjour or airplay that cause problems. What do netgear care if apple stuff fails. Apple are selling their own line of routers to prevent this problem.. and in an all apple house you would not have the problem.

If I were to get a new router, can I still use the TC as a range extender, or would it strictly be only good for backups at that point?

You cannot range extend wireless from another brand.. Apple are propriety systems. But as long as it is plugged in by ethernet you can use it as a WAP and in a roaming network.

Nov 17, 2014 9:36 AM in response to LaPastenague

The Xbox One has a detailed network statistics test you can run. it shows your download/upload speeds, packet loss, MTU, and latency. I wasn't having any NAT or connectivity problems(hard-wired 3ft from modem/Apple TC router). But once I set the Xbox One as the default host/DMZ, I noticed my latency was consistently a little higher. It went from the high 50's milliseconds to the low 60's. I know it's just a few ms, but shouldn't it have gone down?

Nov 17, 2014 10:06 AM in response to dcandland

Unfortunately, as LaPastenague has mentioned, the AirPorts are not listed as Xbox Live-compatible routers ... so there is no guarantee doing this will get Open NAT status for Xbox Live!

Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ

AirPort Utility > Select your Time Capsule (TC) > Edit > Network Options

Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:

UDP 53

UDP 88

UDP 1863

UDP 3074

TCP 53

TCP 80

TCP 1863

TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on the TC, either connect to the TC's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the base station's LAN ports, and then use the AirPort Utility, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox.

AirPort Utility > Select the TCt > Edit > Network tab

Click the "+" (Add) button to enter a DHCP Reservation.

Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>

Reserve address by: MAC Address

MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>

IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address you want to assign to the Xbox>

Click Save.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the TC.

While still on the Network tab:

Click the "+" (Add) button under the Port Settings dialog box.

Description: <you must enter a description here; it can be anything you want>

Public UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074

Public TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074

Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>

Private UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074

Private TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074

Click Save

Click Update and allow the TC to restart.

AirPort Time Capsule has strict NAT on Xbox ONE. Need to disable Firewall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.