Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I be able to completely remotely control and access my Office Mac from my Macbook Air at home?

I am in a bit of a dilemma and need some help from the community. I have a Mac Mini running 16GB Ram 2.3 I7 and 1 TB Fusion Drive at my office, it is in Parrallels Coherence mode 100% of the time. I have to run certain Windows apps from home. I am setting my routers at the office to accept NAT-PMP, or Plug and Play so that I can access them.

I have two questions:

1. Will I be able to use back to my mac, or screen share to completely operate and share my mac mini with a new mac book air?

2. I am buying a new MacBook Air, I am under the assumption that I can get the 13" 4gb, I5, with 256 GB and I should be able to quickly access and handle all basic remote access, iphoto stuff and some i movie stuff occassionally.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Any recommendations?

I do have IPAD apps that can also access two of the three windows apps that are critical to my company, but really need a traditional computer with mouse to run them effectively remotely.

Thanks in advance for your help,

John

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 11:01 AM

6 replies

Jan 9, 2014 8:48 PM in response to Johnny7979

1. Will I be able to use back to my mac, or screen share to completely operate and share my mac mini with a new mac book air?

2. I am buying a new MacBook Air, I am under the assumption that I can get the 13" 4gb, I5, with 256 GB and I should be able to quickly access and handle all basic remote access, iphoto stuff and some i movie stuff occassionally.

Yes to both, as long as the Mini is running Mountain Lion or later OS you can use Back to My Mac and Screen Sharing. It will be as though you are seated at the remote Mac. Connections and speed will be determined by Internet conditions.

OS X Mountain Lion: Share your screen using Back to My Mac

It's pretty seamless. Copying files for example is a simple matter of dragging them to or from the Screen Sharing window. If you have multiple users on the Mini you can log in remotely as any user for which you have access, or share the screen interactively with a user's consent.

The only uncertainties are your router, but according to Apple all that should be required is to enable NAT-PMP or UPnP.

I use Apple routers, to eliminate any uncertainty.

Will I be able to completely remotely control and access my Office Mac from my Macbook Air at home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.