Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I download the latest Itunes software, I get the message that windows cannot open .dmg files

after I've installed the latest version of itunes on my windows pc, I get an alert as to which program I want to open an mac file designated .dmg. I do not want to pay for a file converter to open this file and thus possibly be able to use itunes. Need some help, thanks.

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 11:33 AM

6 replies

Jan 8, 2014 11:45 AM in response to varjak paw

Well, I thought that I did download the windows version, not once, but twice. I had itunes on my computer, but each time that I opened itunes, I would get a message alert saying that some files were missing and that I should uninstall itunes and then reinstall. That's what I did and the result is as above. Any more suggestions, thanks.

Jan 8, 2014 12:03 PM in response to DRBryson

You're downloading from here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

and selecting the Windows version, if it's not automatically selected? If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to download this version:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1615

If you're sure you're getting the .exe installer, not a .dmg file, and it still doesn't work, post back with your version of Windows and the exact error message you're getting and one of us can probably offer further suggestions. If you are getting a .dmg file in the download, try a different web browser.

Regards.

Jan 8, 2014 1:05 PM in response to varjak paw

I went to the latter link that you gave to me and the downloading was quite different that the two previous attempts as the other download link. The download was successful. However, I still received the same message when I tried to open itunesas follows;

"The registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Reinstall itunes."

Of note, when I clicked the OK button on this message, the itunes player did open thereafter showing all the songs that I had downloaded in the past. It now seems to me that the alert that I am getting really doesn't affect itunes. After sucessfully installing itunes from the link you gave me, I am now able to import songs from a CD that is in my CD drive. If there is a problem somewhere within itunes or my hard drive, I think that I will live with it. I have enough itunes functions to suit me for now. Thanks varjak paw.

when I download the latest Itunes software, I get the message that windows cannot open .dmg files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.