Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac not connecting to wi fi , need a WPA2 password

Got a new bt hub yesterday internet was working perfect on my mac then, turned on mac today and its asking for a WPA2 password to connect to wi fi, my wireless key isn't working, any ideas how I get my WPA2 password? Many thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 2:21 PM

Kurt Lang's solution worked for me.

iMac suddenly could not connect to router. Prompted for a WPA2 Password. Entering regular WIFI password didn't work. Multiple iphones and ipads were still using WIFI with no problems. iMac would not connect. Restarting computer didn't work.

This worked:

1. shut down computer

2. unplug WIFI router

3. restart WIFI router

4. restart computer

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2017 2:21 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang's solution worked for me.

iMac suddenly could not connect to router. Prompted for a WPA2 Password. Entering regular WIFI password didn't work. Multiple iphones and ipads were still using WIFI with no problems. iMac would not connect. Restarting computer didn't work.

This worked:

1. shut down computer

2. unplug WIFI router

3. restart WIFI router

4. restart computer

Jan 8, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Hey thanks for reply, bottom of router had a sticker but it only had on it the wireless key which worked originally , a admin password, a serial number and a number and letters combo which starts MAC , I have entered all these to no avail, Really strange as both mine and my wife's I phones are still connecting to wi if no problem it's just the IMac we are having issues with .

Jan 8, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Craigus214

The MAC address (Media Access Control) is the hardware's assigned number. Every device that has the ability to talk with a computer, and computer's themselves, have a unique one. BTW, don't ever give those out to anyone.

Unless you went into the router's settings and changed it, the wireless key on the sticker is the one that should still work. Since the iPhones still work, that proves it is, or they wouldn't be able to connect through the router, either. Sometimes a router kind of gets "lost". Like after a blackout or brownout.

Turn the iMac and the router off. Turn the router on and wait until it's in a ready state. Turn the iMac on and see if it can now connect.

Mac not connecting to wi fi , need a WPA2 password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.