Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are my kindle books backed up in icloud?

My Kindle app has crashed on my iPad. I think I am going to have to uninstall and reinstall it. I have a significant number of books downloaded to the iPad. If I uninstall the app, will I be able to see the books somewhere in iCloud? I can't even open Kindle to take screen shots of the library, so there is no way for me to recreate that library list unless it was part of my iCloud backup. Help?!

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.0.4, iCloud backup

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 8:28 PM

huntesq,

The books you have dowloaded on the Kindle App are associated with your Kindle account. If you delete the Kindle App you can always download them again by signing into your Kindle/Amazon account.

Before you attempt to delete the App, try removing it from your recent Apps, and restart your iPad. That may fix the problem, if not, deleting and re-downloading is the next step.

User uploaded file

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 8:28 PM in response to huntesq

huntesq,

The books you have dowloaded on the Kindle App are associated with your Kindle account. If you delete the Kindle App you can always download them again by signing into your Kindle/Amazon account.

Before you attempt to delete the App, try removing it from your recent Apps, and restart your iPad. That may fix the problem, if not, deleting and re-downloading is the next step.

User uploaded file

Jan 8, 2014 10:03 PM in response to Ferd II

I have already rebooted the ipad and I have found that a large number of users are reporting that the most recent Kindle update is causing the crash. However, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is not an option because the library of books I have on the app will be lost. I have nearly 5000 books in my Kindle account. Finding the 100 or so books that I had housed on the IPad would be impossible. I need to know whether the backup of my Kindle app on iCloud has the books I've downloaded or only the app. If it does, I can uninstall the app. If not, I need to look for another solution.

Jan 9, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Winston Churchill

While the tip to check the size of the app backup is helpful, I don't have 5000 books on the iPad (I'm not sure that is even possible.). What I said was that I have approximately 100 books and thus it would be impossible to cull them from my Amazon list of 5000 to re-download them. I've checked the storage size on my Kindle app and it is similar to many other apps. It did not tell me anything new. But thanks anyway...

Jan 9, 2014 2:27 PM in response to huntesq

I have about 500 books in "ubooks" app takes 500 Mb of space in icloud backup and my ipad. 5000 would take ten times that.

Icloud is not going to help you in that situation unless.

1. you have another device with same library

2. kindle supports icloud app sync.

Reason icloud backup is not going to help - you can't restore one app from the backup - only the full backup. You can find out if Kindle supports icloud sync from Kindle support.

Jan 9, 2014 4:36 PM in response to fromsouth

Ugh, I don't know why everyone is posting about the size of my Amazon Kindle library! I said I have approximately 100 books. Kindle doesn't need iCloud synching because it has it's own cloud. I am just trying to confirm that the 100 books I downloaded TO THE KINDLE are part of the iCloud backup. If so, I will delete the Kindle app and then do a full wipe and iCloud restore... What I DONT want to have to do is go back to the Amazon cloud and try to guess which 100 out of the 5000 I have there need to be individually re-downloaded to the iPad.

Jan 9, 2014 4:43 PM in response to huntesq

It sounds to me like the whole discussion is moot at this point. If the kindle app no longer opens or runs on your iPad, what difference does it make if they are backed up or not? At this point, all you can do is try re-installing the kindle app, then try a restore from your iOS backup. But if the books are not there, then you will have to re-download them - either way, if that is the only way to get the Kindle app working again, that is what you have to do.

For what it is worth, I do believe the books in your library on the device itself are part of the iOS backup, like most other app data (I know my Nook library is part of my iOS backup). But again, even if they were not, what else can you do if the kindle app is non-responsive now?

Jan 9, 2014 6:54 PM in response to Michael Black

Well, that may be the only solution temporarily, but given the massive number of complaints being listed on the Kindle app review page, I expect there will HAVE to be a patch rather quickly. That being said, I need to continue working on my draft, which requires the specific books lurking in my IPad Kindle library. However, I would prefer to know BEFORE I wipe my entire IPad clean, that the important library of research books I have compiled here WILL, in fact, be there after I reset the IPad. If no one can tell me they have successfully done it, then I am not sure that is a better solution than waiting out the Kindle developers for another solution. So definitely not moot...

May 29, 2015 9:38 AM in response to fromsouth

Knowing that ubooks restores books from iCloud is not the question.

The question is: does the Kindle app backup the list of books downloaded to the device to iCloud? If I lost my iPad and chose to restore it as a particular backup, would the Kindle app still be logged in and automatically add the books I had to its own download queue when it gets restored from iCloud backup or not? I know this is a process that is supposed to be completely seemless and transparent to the user, it’d be nice to know up-front if I need to remember what book I was last reading or if Kindle actually has good support for iCloud. Because Apple providing developers tools like iCloud backup does not mean that all apps actually do the right thing…

Whatever, maybe I’ll try resetting this device and see more myself which apps do a good job at restoring state and then not report back here because I’ll have forgotten by then…

are my kindle books backed up in icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.