Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Windows Script!

Wanting my tracks in my Itunes sequentially, without having to select each track, I downloaded the "Add To Track Number" Script and everytime I doubleclick on it, I receive the below message. I get the same message for every script I have downloaded and doubleclicked on from http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp. Can anbody PLEASE help me fix this!?!?!? Or, could anyone suggest another method of labeling tracks sequentially? I would greatly appreciate any and all help!! I am running Windows 8.1 64 Bit.

User uploaded file

Itunes 11.1.3.8-OTHER, iOS 7.0.4, Windows 8.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 5:04 PM

11 replies

Jan 8, 2014 5:19 PM in response to oleballcoach2

You need to run the scripts from an account with administrative priveliges. If you are already an admin then you may need to change your UAC settings. If you can't get it to work please let me know which version of Windows and your user account level and I will try to replicate the issue.

If the tracks currently have no track numbers then you might require tree_frog's script here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3991908

The same limitation will apply.

tt2

Message was edited by: turingtest2

Jan 8, 2014 5:58 PM in response to b noir

Not at all. 🙂

I thought of Run as... but it doesn't show as option back here on XP. We have the answers to most of my supplemental questions (Windows 8.1/Administrator - It's 2 am, I plead tiredness!) except for the current UAC level. This may need to be disabled for Windows 8 (and then the machine rebooted), but I can't say for certain as I don't have regular access to 8 for testing.

tt2

Jan 8, 2014 6:06 PM in response to turingtest2

Checking something Steve ... on the occasions when you've had access to Windows 8, has the script offered a right-click "Run as administrator" option?

Thinking that if it does under normal circumstances, then we might be looking at a weirdish sort of issue with oleball where user accounts on Vista, 7 or 8 machines lose the "Run as administrator" option altogether. (Usually, I'll see that reported as a rare complication of trying to do "Run as administrator" on the iTunes.exe file to test for sundry problems where I've been suspecting a permissions issue.) I've always vaguely assumed it's part of the range of symptoms that can happen when the permissions in a user account go south.

Jan 9, 2014 3:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Managed to get onto the Win 8.1 system. No sign of a "Run as administrator..." for the .vbs scripts, but they work perfectly for me. They also run on all four levels of UAC control. Anything other than disabled will prevent the progress bar from working. Those scripts that move files around might also have issues with some of the higher settings but I've not really explored that in detail. The kind that only manipulate tag information shouldn't have any problem running.

I wonder if it is iTunes that needs elevated priviliges? Was it installed using the administrator account? Might be worth a repair install, or removing and then reinstalling.

tt2

Jan 9, 2014 1:10 PM in response to turingtest2

No sign of a "Run as administrator..." for the .vbs scripts

Thank you kindly. oleball's seeing expected behavior, then.

I wonder if it is iTunes that needs elevated priviliges?

Plausibly. It might be worth oleball checking to see if the scripts work for him/her if s/he launches iTunes first by doing a "Run as administrator" off the itunes.exe file.

Help with Windows Script!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.