Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages works fine on iPad, but on my MBP I can't log in using my Apple ID?

Messages has been working great on my iPad for quite some time now, and I love it. As long as I have WiFi I can IM just like normal. However, I wanted to send a message yesterday and my nephew was playing with the iPad, so I tried to send it on my MBP. I've been trying ever since then to sign in with my Apple ID, but it just won't accept it. The software knows my correct Apple ID, and auto-enters it. Then I type in my password and press Sign In. The app tries for over a minute, displaying "signing in," but then it displays "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again." My network is fine, I just checked it with speed check. So am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? I mean, it's not the end of the world if I have to use my iPad, but it's so much more convenient using my MBP and it's real keyboard.

MacBook Pro 2.2GHz

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 6:34 PM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2014 1:34 PM in response to JigShaun1030

Hi,

As well as Eric's Suggestions also check the Apple icon Menu > About this Mac

Click twice on the lines that shows you the current OS version.

The first click will show you the Build Number and then the second should show you the Serial Number.

If it is missing you will need to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider to have it replaced.

It can sometimes be missing if someone forgot to "flash" it back to the new board if replaced during Repair or Refurbishment.

It has been required since OS X 10.8.2 updated Messages to version 7.0.1

User uploaded file

9:34 pm Thursday; January 9, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 10, 2014 7:40 PM in response to JigShaun1030

I did what you suggested and checked about this Mac in the Apple Menu. Sure enough, it shows the build number, but on the next click it says "Serial Number System Serial Number#". The motherboard on this MBP was actually replaced twice while it was covered by AppleCare, and I guess on the second install the serial wasn't flashed. Thanks for the help, and for the quick reply.

Shaun

Jan 11, 2014 12:11 PM in response to JigShaun1030

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points.

I have not heard of anyone being charged for this at an Apple Store.

If it was through an Apple Authorised Service Provider I am sure you will be able to convince them that they missed the end of the job.

(I have not seen any posts saying anyone has had issues using this route, but there are less of them)

User uploaded file

8:10 pm Saturday; January 11, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages works fine on iPad, but on my MBP I can't log in using my Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.