Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reinstall Compressor 4.1 as I used app cleaner to delete the app in hopes of getting it to run. Any help would be great

Compressor 4.1 does not work in any way, shape or fashion while everything else, including FCPX 10.1., under Mavericks. I did the app cleaner bit to uninstall all of compressor 4.1 to do a clean install as folks says this approach works but I don't know how to reinstall it as app store says it's installed with no visible option as to do a reinstall. Any workaround on this?

TIA

Bob Moran

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:00 PM

Try this free app from Digital Rebellion to un-install Compressor:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

Restart your computer and see if you can re-download Compressor.

17 replies

Jan 9, 2014 2:22 PM in response to remoran

Hi Guys,

I did the drill and reinstalled Compressor. No dice. The app DOES NOT WORK. Everything else in Mavericks is fine save this app, which renders my $600 Matrox useless. Question, is there any way to get compressor 4.0 back now that I have gone to Mavericks as I need compressor to do the videos I do for clients. Apple blew it big time on this. Inexcusable as many other videographers have voiced bitterly about just how lame Compressorl4.1 truly is.

Thanks for your input.

Best

Bob Moran

Jan 9, 2014 3:04 PM in response to remoran

As Jan Ozer wrote on a review that David posted, people seem to either love it or hate 4.1.

I'm probably the exception to Ozer's observation in that my reaction is mixed. I had all sorts of issues when I first installed. But eventually they were sorted out. What I like is that some things go a lot faster. I'm not, however, in love with some of the new workflow.

You said that you finally got it to reinstall but it does not work. What does that mean? Do you get error message? Does it crash? Hang? Something else?

And what about trying a new user account?

As far as rolling back to an earlier version, it can be done if you have a back-up you can restore from. And I suppose there's no down-side to contacting Apple, or your local Apple Store. Otherwise, I'm afraid not.

Russ

Jan 9, 2014 8:04 PM in response to Russ H

I used app cleaner to totally remove Compressor 4.1, shut the Mac Book Pro down and restarted it. I reinstalled Compressor and then, a kindly tech named PaloDave solved the problem. Matrox does NOT work with Compressor 4.1. Seems their code is not compatable. He showed me how to get it out of the Compressor folder in the library and voila, it works. Fantastic!!🙂

Jan 15, 2014 3:15 AM in response to remoran

Hello Bob, its simple to pull Compressor V4.1 out of the system and add it back in. No need for any 3rd party "fix 'em' utilities either!.. just use OSX.

1. quit compressor.app V4.1
  2. copy | make another instance etc of the ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Settings and History and templates if you want them
  3. remove | delete | purge | rename | move ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor directory
  4. remove ~/Library/Logs/compressor folder if it's there. (just delete it)
  5. remove /Applications/Compressor.app (it package) either by
    • The EASY WAY: launch Launchpad.app , search for Compressor.app, GEAR DOWN (RMbutton or cntl+click), click on the 'x' and remove it (like iOS!) or
    • or.... navigate to /Applications, select Compressor.app, and move it to the trash. Empty the trash
  6. go to MAC App Store:
    • assume you're logged into store
    • click at Purchases TAB at top.
    • scroll down to Compressor V4.1 in purchases list
    • GEAR DOWN ((RMbutton or cntl+click) and select INSTALL
    • monitor the download
  7. fire up compressor.app and then quit it.
  8. optionally: reinstate your Settings and other goodies to ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor
  9. re-launch compressor.app V4.1 - should be OK.

Lastly, I'm curious what your experience/observations when Compressor.app V4.1 "Compressor 4.1 does not work in any way, shape or fashion while everything else?"

Post your results for others to see.

Warwick

 Apple Certified ACTC

Hong Kong

Feb 17, 2014 12:22 AM in response to Russ H

Two clean stalls of the app. A clean install of the OS just to get compressor working does not seem reasonable.

I maintain two professional workstations meticulously and haven been doing this for a long time.

Can't remember ever buying a new pro app that required more than some basic tweaking and housekeeping to get working.

Ah well...

Feb 17, 2014 5:52 AM in response to 42houser

Jan Anderson wrote:

Two clean stalls of the app. A clean install of the OS just to get compressor working does not seem reasonable.

Hey Jan, Not saying I disagree. Just relating what seems to be a pattern. Some people are finding the pro apps on Mavericks to be great and others are running into a lot of frustration. People who know more than I do about it have tried to understand what's going on and note that – for whatever reason – those with clean OS installs seem to be having the better outcomes.

Best of luck,

Russ

Feb 17, 2014 9:55 AM in response to 42houser

My setup of compressor started working today.

Have not changed anything just a another day's rest. Something settled itself...odd.

But perhaps worth reporting was I did try a hint from a user on another thread:

The first time I opened the app, changed a few settings in preferences and then quit the app

-before trying to start a batch-

That could possible have been the fix but I can't verify it and don't have time for it.

Working now though..

FWIW, YMMV

Feb 19, 2014 9:59 PM in response to 42houser

Hi Jan, just saw this thread again and further to Russ post from 2014 Jan 10 , do you have ANY diagnostic information that report you issues?

I'd be surprised if there is none (no external error logging). I know that reinstalling the compressor.app V4.1 (or most other applications) won't really help (can be a needless exercise) unless the original library framework and modules, elements etc were corrupt.. and that would be unusual. Certainly many 3rd party utilities that perform "de-installations" also try and remove parameter and state information setting as well. This also has the added side benefit of removing the acual cause of the error. (assuming it's not the source material) .

Good advice from many forum posters for compressor.app is also to log into a different user and run your job/workflow with the same material to isolate the localised environment.

Thus it's more likely the good old state information and that as most of of know is simple to fix.

FWIW, I have noticed the ODD UI glitches in compressor.app V4.1 that cause misbehaviour and stale job from not working , the situation being further exacerbated by symptom dump (component abends).

Such a compressor.app V4.1 error doesn't exhibit any interaction in the UI however this message is buried in the system.log: EXAMPLE ONLY

Compressor[26541]: FAILURE: Job com.apple.CompressorHelper-1 is not loaded in launchd.

Feb 13 15:41:15 macpro-.local compressord[26556]: In 'CFPasteboardCopyDataReturn __CFPasteboardCopyData(CFPasteboardRef, CFIndex, CFIndex, CFStringRef, Boolean, Boolean)', file /SourceCache/CF/CF-855.11/AppServices.subproj/CFPasteboard.c, line 2953, during unlock, spin lock 0x264c5d8 has value 0x0, which is not locked. The memory has been smashed or the lock is being unlocked when not locked.

The above was very difficult to find straight away however it was caused by a corrupt COmpressor.ap V4.1 Customised Setting (user generated setting) used in the Compressor.app V4.1 UI... thus it was not due to the actual compressor.app V4.1 application being corrupt, instead a user manufactured parameter setting (mine to be precise). Required two different symptom dumps to find. Thus if I had UNINSTALLED and hacked and dug out Compressor.app V4.1 or other application out of the system I would have lost some of my settings, templates and ongoing jobs, my cluster setup and the issue at hand. The issue would have happened again. This is the usual thing for all types of issues.. nothing new here.

My point here is: if you were able to post some of these diagnostics I'm confident that the people on these forums can help you get Compressor/Qmaster working optimally. 🙂

FWIW

Warwick

Hong Kong

How do I reinstall Compressor 4.1 as I used app cleaner to delete the app in hopes of getting it to run. Any help would be great

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.