Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't swipe my iPhone 5 to answer a call or use my phone

I can't swipe my iPhone 5 to answer a call or turn it on. I tried holding the power button to turn it off, but that requires me to swipe it to turn it off, as well.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 7:08 PM

10 replies

Jan 8, 2014 8:01 PM in response to mariannaBanana

Try to reset the phone. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone should reboot. If that does not help, then a restore from backup is the next step. If that is not successful, then a restore as a new device. If none of those work, then I would say it is a hardware problem and you will need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at Apple or with the Authorized Apple Service Provider depending on where you live.

Feb 15, 2014 1:51 PM in response to NIBNIB

A reset is nothing more than a reboot of the device. It has no affect on your data. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone will reboot.

Pressing the volume button will only silence the ringer. If you are having an issue with the swipe to answer the call to show up, I've not heard of this workaround. The reset generally will fix small errors such as this with the reboot.

Jun 30, 2015 9:58 AM in response to mariannaBanana

I can confirm that my issue with an iPhone 5c not being able to slide to answer calls was with the flip cover as was reported in another thread. Removing the flip cover completely solved the issue. Its was one of these fake leather covers with some soft felt like material on the inside. Maybe too much static from the synthetic materials?

I can't swipe my iPhone 5 to answer a call or use my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.