Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Power Mac G4 running Tiger that will not open Classic 9.1

I have an old Power Mac G4 Running OSX 10.4.11 that would run Classic 9.1. I haven't used the computer in a long time, but am trying now, and Classic will not start. I get no alerts, besides one that says "You have Mac OS 9.1 Installed. It's recommended that you upgrade to Mac OS 9.2" With "OK" as the only option. Afterwards it just goes to the start up screen for Classic and the blue bar doesn't move, but flickers. I have tried restarting, and all extensions are off. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 7:49 PM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2014 8:48 AM in response to MissWasp

Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk and select Mac OS 9 and hit restart.

As soon as the screen shows black, hold down the space bar.

When the extensions manager comes up, select the default/base set (the one that is locked).

Hopefully it will let you connect to the internet. If not, do you have second hard drive in the computer, or computer?

Jan 10, 2014 10:23 AM in response to a brody

When I did that (though I held down the spacebar the extensions manager did not come up) it restarted with classic successfully. So thank you, I can get it to work like this. I played an old game on it, which would not escape afterwards so I had to restart. But it's working well enough. Thank you! Let's hope I can change it back to 10.4.11 .....

I have a Power Mac G4 running Tiger that will not open Classic 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.