Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the latest version of System X that will run with a 2008 13 in. Black MacBook computer? I am currently using System X.6.8 which works great. I am getting a new MacBook Pro, but I plan to keep t˙is computer for software that will not run on the new

What is the latest version of System X that will run with a 2008 13 in. Black MacBook computer? I am currently using System X.6.8 which works great. In fact I have been afraid to upgrade any further as it appears System X.9 and maybe System X.8 will not run on my computer. am getting a new MacBook Pro, but I plan to keep this computer for software that will not run on the new one that will be X.9 (I think). It is arriving tomorrow. I am a bit worried about the new Macbook Pro because of the battery being built in and not so simple to replace as the Black MacBook.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), This is my old computer.

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 9:35 PM

1 reply

Jan 8, 2014 10:29 PM in response to DrSnooks

A 2008 black MacBook can run OS X Lion (OS X 10.7). However, if you want to use that Mac for apps that do not work with the new MacBook, I recommend you to leave it with Mac OS X 10.6.8, because OS X Lion removes compatibility with PowerPC apps.

Do not worry about the battery of the new MacBook Pro. You can replace it yourself or take it to an Apple Store or reseller, and the cost is similar. However, it's important to take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller if your Mac's battery fails while the Mac is in warranty, because you will get the battery replaced for free.

What is the latest version of System X that will run with a 2008 13 in. Black MacBook computer? I am currently using System X.6.8 which works great. I am getting a new MacBook Pro, but I plan to keep t˙is computer for software that will not run on the new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.