Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why to buy a Macbook Air?

So, I'm 17 years old and I am really interested on the MacBook Air.

I'm into photography and editing. That's why I want it for (also for surfing on the internet lol). I do own a desk PC but is bit old. And whenever I try to edit something it crushes. Also when I try to transfer photos from my camera to the PC or an external memory.

So I been watching and reading reviews but they are ALL so positive... My question, here, is: "what are the pros and cons of buying a MacBook Air?"

I'm trying to convince my parents but I want to tell them the "good" and the "bad" side of making this purchase.

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 8:58 PM

2 replies

Jan 8, 2014 9:10 PM in response to Connie96

Pros are countless,

lightweight

ultrafast boot and SSD drive

cool haswell and incredible battery life that beats all else out there

superfast 802ac wifi

only one moving part.

Macbook Air was rated by STUFF as #1 out of top test best Ultrabooks, AND was far far less expensive than the other Ultrabooks which averaged $2100

Entry macbook Air is $1100

bad side?

If you buy it youll ditch everything else likely

no SSD is huge, youll need to buy an external HD likely for huge media files / music / videos etc.

Here is an excellent video comparison between the 11” I5 vs. I7 2013 Macbook Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqJ-on03z4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-465 0u/2

I5 vs. I7 performance 13” Macbook Air 2013

Boot performance

11.7 I5 ……11.4 I7

Cinebench

1.1 I5….1.41 I7

IMovie Import and Opt.

6.69 I5….5.35 I7

IMovie Export

10.33 I5…8.20 I7

Final Cut Pro X

21.47 I5…17.71 I7

Adobe Lightroom 3 Export

25.8 I5….31.8 I7

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Performance

27.3 I5…22.6 I7

User uploaded file

Macbook Air (13") ports:

User uploaded file

Jan 8, 2014 9:20 PM in response to Connie96

You mention you are 17, I assume you are a student.

In addition to the Pro's PlotinusVeritas mentioned, I would add that this is the perfect ultrabook for a student - long battery life, lightweight, sturdy, easy to take to and from classes. The battery life on these models is simply outstanding. A charge will last the whole day under normal usage conditions (which your conditions fall under). The only con would be the transition from Windows operating system to OSX. The learning curve isn't too steep, as Macs are easy to use and have an intuitive UI.

Oh, and for qualifying institutions, there is an educational discount:

Education - Apple Store

Why to buy a Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.