Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto slows my MacBook to a halt.

Help! For only the past few months, my iPhoto has slowed my MacBook to a halt every time I open it. I do have 26,000 photos in it, but my hard drive has heaps of space left. I am now loathe to even open iPhoto because of what it does to every other open app. It runs very very very slowly and takes forever to complete any request.

Any ideas? Thanks!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:59 PM

Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - repair permissions and then repeate rebuild your iPhoto library database

LN

27 replies

Jan 9, 2014 4:30 PM in response to laura kbee

Time Machine is designed to run constantly and backup every hour - the whole point is to be able to go back an hour or two or a day and get =good data - yes you have a backup but if you have problems you will lose a lot - I suggest yo reconsider what you are doing

I run TM constantly - do a daily bootable clone - and prior to an update or upgrade I make an extra copy of my iPhoto library - plu I do occasional off site backups and keep my photos on the sd card for over a year - my p[hotos are valuable to me

LN

My iPhoto slows my MacBook to a halt.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.