Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merging table cells grayed out in pages 08 3.0.3

Hello,

I am using Pages 08 on Mac Air, v. 3.0.3.

I highlighted to cells in a row in a table to merge them, but the merge is grayed out.

The "help" page said to Choose Format >Table > Merge Cells. Did that. Grayed out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Air (11-inch Late 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 9:59 PM

16 replies

Jan 10, 2014 12:11 AM in response to fruhulda

Okay, I'll try to upload the larger images. And the only time I get the dots is if I select the entire table. I'm just selecting the 2 bottom cells because I need the top row with 2 cells and the bottom row with 1 cell.

So my first image shows you how I highlighted the ONE cell. Second image shows how I highlighted TWO cells And then the third image is where I've chose to merge the cells. And it's the same if I use the inspector. Both ways have the "merge" grayed out.

IMAGE 1 - 1 cell on bottom row highlighted

User uploaded file

IMAGE 2 -- both cells on bottom row highlighted

User uploaded file

IMAGE 3 - Merge cells is grayed out.

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Sorry, Jerrold, I accidentally sent you a copy of my doc. It is

fruhulda Sweden who said he would take a look at it for me. So please just ignore that email. Sorry about that.

I don't know how to look to see if the bottom row is a header row. I would think the top row would have to be a header row, if there are any header rows in the table. But maybe there is a problem with that row being something other than a standard table row. Not sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Jan 10, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Oh, gosh, thank you both for helping. And thanks Jerrold for the information.

Okay, I just created a NEW table, as I couldn't quite understand the procedure you wanted me to use. I can just re-enter the content.

This is what I always get when I insert a table. Is there a way to set it up just to insert a normal table and I can always come back later and add color? This is the default insert of a template for some reason.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Pamela Kinann

Thank you both, VERY much, for offering to help AND solving the problem! I needed to print out my bulletins TODAY, so I was anxiously awaiting a resolve to my table issues! SMILE 🙂

I couldn't understand the FIX for the table, but it was such a simple table that I just re-created it and re-inserted the content.

Thank you again for your help. It is much appreciated!

Where do I check that my issue was resolved?

merging table cells grayed out in pages 08 3.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.