Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto and random events with External Drive

Whenever I connect my external drive to either my laptop or iMac, random events start showing up in iPhoto. Each event only contains 1 or 2 pictures, and there are hundreds of these events. These events are titled things like "ds" or "lr" no order to them. I drag them to the trash and empty the trash, but when I re-connect the external drive all of the pictures appear in iPhoto again. Any ideas? Thank you.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:58 PM

10 replies

Jan 9, 2014 7:53 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you LarryHN for trying to help. When I connect the drive and launch iPhoto, the events just begin to appear. There ends up being about 1500 events if I let it run for a little while. The events do include some of my pictures, but also clipart and keynote slides.

When I drag them to the trash and empty through trash, they delete until I reconnect the drive once I do that they all instantly appear again.

All of my software is up to date.

Strange and frustrating.

Thanks again.

Jan 9, 2014 8:07 AM in response to lancesfa

Very strange

Nothing say importing? and if you lauch iPhoto with the drive not connected iPhoto works correctly with no issues?

If you let it continue until it is done however long that takes and then delete some of these while the EHD is connected do they reappear?

All I can think of (sort of a wild buess actually) is that somehow that drive got drug onto iPhoto and it is importing all images form it - if it does not finish then is\ts start again next tim you connect the drive - maybe if it finishes and then you delete things they will stay deleted -- of if you have a backup from before this started happening you could restore it and be ok by going back in time - that of course woul remove any photos you ahve added since the restore so you would need to epor thtem first so youcan import them after the restore

I'm assuming that you have iPHoto '11 version 9.5.1 - please verify

LN

Jan 9, 2014 8:30 AM in response to LarryHN

I agree it is very strange. I was wondering about the accidentally importing the whole drive thing, but the fact that it is happening on both my laptop and my desktop when I connect the drive makes me think it is not that issue. If I open a different library in iPhoto, the same thing happens and the pictures start appearing. I only use my laptop iphoto for my photostream, so it is not one that I import anything in to. I am running 9.5.1 and OSX 10.9.1.

If I let them all import, then delete them after it is finished, they stay gone until I disconnect and reconnect the drive. As soon as I do that, they start appearing again. Nothing about importing, they just start appearing. A first I thought it might be something from a Time Machine backup, but it is not this drive. I have been researcing and trying to find someone else that has had the problem. I have found 2 or 3 other people that have mentioned it, but now have any solutions to the problem.

Very strange.

Jan 11, 2014 9:48 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, I know I don't have any folder actions or automator workflows for it, but I will need to double check on the Hazel Macros.

It is a new thing though, both my laptop and iMac started this after iPhoto 11 and Mavricks. Not sure if that is related, but it is the only thing that I think these two computers have in common.

I will double check Hazel.

iPhoto and random events with External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.