Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems After Replacing Keyboard (Top Case)

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I'll try to keep this simple:

I have a Black 13" Macbook from 2007 Model A1181 (2.16ghz, Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram)

A few years ago I spilled water on the keyboard, and the "A" and "S" keys stopped working.

Well about a month ago I finally ordered a replacement top case from someone on ebay, that was "90% new, and 100% working"

As far as I can tell, it is working.

The problem is:

After installing the new top case, when I turned on my computer, the startup screen with the apple logo would come on, I'd hear the chime, and then it would go into sleep mode. Then, it would startup again a few seconds later and then go back to sleep.. and it just kept doing that. So I couldn't get the computer to stay on. Very strange.

I tried reattaching the old top case, and the problem was gone, so for some reason it isn't liking the new one.

Anyways, after Googling for a bit, I read that I should try doing a SMC rest, which I did. That worked. The problem is, I have to do a SMC reset every time before I turn on the laptop.. AND while its on, the fan runs at full speed without stopping. Also, when I close the laptop, it won't go to sleep.. I have no idea why these problems are happening, if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Couple things to mention: The battery is completely dead, I have to have the laptop plugged in for it to function, so that could be part of the problem, although when I had the old keyboard attached none of these problems happened. (planning on buying a new one shortly)

Also, I've tried doing an SRAM reset and that didn't work either. Also, I'm running OSX 10.7.5 Lion

PLEASE if you know anything about this please help me. Thanks a lot.

Will

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 10:14 PM

1 reply

Problems After Replacing Keyboard (Top Case)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.