Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where will I find visual basic on mac?

I have migrated microsoft office to my new macbook pro and its saying visual basic is not installed? where would this reside on the mac? Can I install it?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:25 AM

There is no Visual Basic in the Mac product. Microsoft chose not to implement it. If you absolutely have to use it, you need to create a Bootcamp partition and install Windows, or use Parallels to create a virtual machine running Windows.

4 replies

Jun 6, 2014 11:43 AM in response to BobRz

There is no Visual Basic in the Mac product.

I am not sure that infromation is correct.

For example you can get Visual Basic for Excel in Office for Mac 2011 as follows: http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/macros/visual_basic_editor2011.php

The steps are:

1. Choose Excel Menu > Preferences

2. Choose Ribbon in the Sharing and Privacy section.

3. In the Customize section, check Developer in the list of tabs. Click OK.

4. Select the Developer tab from the toolbar at the top of the screen.

5. Click on the Editor option in the Visual Basic group.

Now the Microsoft Visual Basic editor should appear and you can view your VBA code.

hth,

b.

Jul 17, 2015 1:58 PM in response to confusednewuser60

I just ran into this problem trying to use Dragon Dictate in the beta for Microsoft Word 15(16?) on my iMac Retina 5K. Reading one of the above posts I started with Finder, opened the Applications folder, then I right-clicked on the Microsoft Word icon. One of the menu items that showed up was "show package contents". I selected that and a window opened containing one folder icon named Contents so I clicked on that. Several folders then showed up and one was named Frameworks. I clicked on that and was met by window filled with what looked like little Lego cubes, and one of those cubes was named " Visual Basic for applications.framework". When I clicked that, small window opened on my screen with a bunch of lines of what looked like software commands. The final line said that the installation was successful. Hoping that I had achieved my goal, I went back to Microsoft Word and was happy to find that Dragon Dictate was now able to run.

(However, just to be clear, when I say that Dragon Dictate is now able to run in MS Word, I'm NOT saying that it runs properly in Microsoft Word, nor for that fact does it operate properly in the Mac email app. One thing I've run into repeatedly is that a lot of problems show up when I direct it to select a particular word. Sometimes it does it properly, but more often it moves the cursor back in my document several lines, even several paragraphs, and selects parts of two words that are next to each other as well as the space in between them. From that point on many other functional features stop work properly. An example just occurred: In the second sentence before this one, I initially spoke the word "select" in its singular form, but when I asked it to be selected so that I could convert it to its plural form the cursor highlighted the word "select", but then kept moving backwards through the paragraph highlighting everything along the way!! Now a variety of additional malfunctions are showing up so much so that I turned off Dragon and typed this last bit.)

where will I find visual basic on mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.