Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers documents in iCloud impossible to open

Hi!

Since last saturday one of my Numbers documents in iCloud can't be opened. It simply says that the spreadsheet cannot be opened. It doesn't matter if I try to open it on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iCloud.com. For some reason most of my iWork documents seems to have been opened and re-saved on January 4 at 21:41. The problems began after that. I wasn't even working with iWork then so it seems to have happened "by itself".

How do I get back an older working version of my documents? Since they are in iCloud they are not included in my Time Machine backups. I always thought of iCloud as the most foolproof way to store my documents.

Best regards,

Niklas Johansson

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 3:25 AM

The documents are also stored on the Mac in your user's folder. In Finder select Go > Go to Folder and enter "~/Library/Mobile Documents" (without the quotes). Your files should be in the com-apple-Numbers/Documents folder. You should be able to locate the older versions in Time Machine at this location.

But this initial cause of the corruption is a concern. Maybe someone else has experience with this problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2014 3:25 AM in response to nickej

The documents are also stored on the Mac in your user's folder. In Finder select Go > Go to Folder and enter "~/Library/Mobile Documents" (without the quotes). Your files should be in the com-apple-Numbers/Documents folder. You should be able to locate the older versions in Time Machine at this location.

But this initial cause of the corruption is a concern. Maybe someone else has experience with this problem.

Jan 9, 2014 5:04 AM in response to YeOldMacFan

Thank you! That was news to me.

I found the document in Time Machine and went back to January 1:st. That was odd. What I found was a document dated back in July of 2013 with a size of 0 byte. I am sure that I had the document open last week and the real size of it is around 9 megabyte. I even went back to the beginning of december and found the same 0 byte file from July.

To me this suggest that Time Machine somehow retroactively changed the file in backups.

Best regards, Niklas

Numbers documents in iCloud impossible to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.