Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashed and deleted the newest events?

Hi,

yesterday iPhoto quit unexpectedly and when I reopened it, several events were suddenly empty. I have no idea where the photos and videos are now... Some of them were still in 'Photos' and some still in 'last 12 months' but most of them are gone. I lost all the photos I had imported that day and some of the day before. I hadn't been able to quit iPhoto for a few days. It kept telling me that it was still importing all though no device was connected and that it cannot quit until import is finished. Also every time I activate iPhoto while it is open but in the background, it automatically switches to 'last import'. It has been doing that for a while, probably a couple of months.

I really want those photos back. Please tell me if there is something I can do to recover them. Thank You!

I am using iPhoto 9.4.3

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 4:22 AM

Start with:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Re images that are in "Photos" or "Last 12 Months"

If the Photos are under 'Last Import' or 'Last N Months' then they are in the Library somewhere, just not where you are expecting them to be. We know this as both Last Import and 'Last N Months' are not places, just listings of elements in the the Library.

The two most common reasons that they can't be found is either an incorrect date on the camera or the Sorting (View Menu -> Sort Photos - or Sort Events, as appropriate) has changed.

Quick route to find them: Right-click on one of the images in Last Import and select 'Show Event'. This will bring you to the image in the Library.

And as for the switching to 'Last Import':

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a Folder called 'Auto Import' Remove anything in it.

Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

Regards

TD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2014 4:22 AM in response to UserWi

Start with:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Re images that are in "Photos" or "Last 12 Months"

If the Photos are under 'Last Import' or 'Last N Months' then they are in the Library somewhere, just not where you are expecting them to be. We know this as both Last Import and 'Last N Months' are not places, just listings of elements in the the Library.

The two most common reasons that they can't be found is either an incorrect date on the camera or the Sorting (View Menu -> Sort Photos - or Sort Events, as appropriate) has changed.

Quick route to find them: Right-click on one of the images in Last Import and select 'Show Event'. This will bring you to the image in the Library.

And as for the switching to 'Last Import':

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a Folder called 'Auto Import' Remove anything in it.

Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

Regards

TD

Jan 9, 2014 5:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Wow! Thank you so much for your help!

I tried option one: repair database and it seems to have done the trick!

All my photos are back and sorted. This is a great relief! I'm backing up again this minute 😉

Removing the content from 'Auto Import' helped, too.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks very much! I am so glad I got everything back!

iPhoto crashed and deleted the newest events?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.