Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have bought a 2nd hand late 2008 macbook air and can't install iPhoto as it requires update 10.9 or higher i can't seem to update any further than 10.7.5 help???

I have bought a 2nd hand late 2008 macbook air and can't install iPhoto as it says it requires update 10.9 or higher i can't seem to update any further than 10.7.5 can anyone help please???

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:50 AM

5 replies

Jan 9, 2014 5:56 AM in response to gaz8503

To update to Mountain Lion or Mavericks your MBA must be in the list found at http://www.apple.com/osx/specs which does say MBA Late 2008 or newer...so yours may not actually be a Late 2008 if it will not update.

Check the actual model number by going to the apple at the left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware and what does it say the model is at MacBook Airx,y? You can check that model by going to http://www.everymac.com and click on MacBook Air and then find the actual build period and see if that matches the Mavericks specs.

Jan 9, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thankyou for your response... being new to this i have had a look and it says the following

This system can run the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" as well as the current version of OS X 10.9 "Mavericks," but does not support the AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring, or Power Nap features. It is not supported booting into 64-bit mode when running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." It does support "OpenCL" and Grand Central Dispatch introduced with Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard."

Please note that OS X "Lion" 10.7 and subsequent versions of OS X, like Mountain Lion and Mavericks, are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as these operating systems do not support the "Rosetta" environment. To run PowerPC applications on this Mac, it will be necessary to use Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" or earlier

what do i do next

Thankyou once again for your reply

Gaz

Jan 9, 2014 11:55 AM in response to gaz8503

Hi Gaz,

To run the latest iPhoto, 9.5, you do need to use Mavericks per http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4411, and that informayion you pasted would indicate your MBA is the right vintage to run Mavericks. You might want to try a download again from the Mac App Store, open the app store, then under Top Choices, in the second box of apps there should be OS X Mavericks at the left side of the top row. Go to that and see if it will permit you to download...if it does not that could mean insufficient hard drive space, has to be at least 7 GB, or memory, has to be at least 2 GB.

If this is still a problem, you may have to look for a copy of iLife '09 instead of '11.

I have bought a 2nd hand late 2008 macbook air and can't install iPhoto as it requires update 10.9 or higher i can't seem to update any further than 10.7.5 help???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.