Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configurator 1.4.3 Inconsistent updates

I'm the "ipad guy" in a middle/high school. Just pulled in 110 ipads for Seniors to update the OS, apps, etc. and have seen extraordinarily inconsistent results. I'm hoping someone can illuminate me - or at least point me to the right direction - espiecially since I have several VERY angry students who lost things like college essays.

[....and no backups, of course!]

Most of the ipads were on OS 7.0.x, but many were still on 6.x

I pulled in the iPads, hooked them up to the configurator, selected the apps to add, selected to update the OS, and hit refresh.

• Most ipads updated just fine.

• Several came back having been wiped - all personal data gone from the devices, and I had to go hrough the initial setup screens {Starting from the "Hello" all the way through network settings, iCloud backups, etc.}

I wish they HAD setup their iCloud backups - sadly, they hadn't.

• A few were wiped, put themselves into Recovery mode and need to be "reactivated" - and thus are not updateable using Configurator [according to Configurator]. Never mind, of course, that Configurator was used to set them up in the first place.

WHY the inconsistent operation, given the same procedures?

Any suggestions for avoiding this headache?

[These are all 16gb iPad 2s, BTW]

Configurator 1.4.3-OTHER

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 7:24 AM

1 reply

Jan 10, 2014 12:29 PM in response to tech-itunes-MDS

We are seeing this as well - spent 4+ hours on the phone with Apple and they refuse to acknowledge that it could be configurator...

I think it is a wifi issue, when it reboots it does not connect to the wifi. Then it just hangs around in "Waiting for iPad to be active". Interesting things is that when I open the iPad while it is waiting, the settings app is blank, so I can't make it connect manually either... I have had to stop the process, reboot the iPad, go through setup and manually connect to our wifi (wpa personal).

If you are putting on a wifi profile from configurator, I think (have not tested...) that creating a new profile in your 1.4.3 version might work and I would delete the old wifi profile (or forget the network).

Configurator 1.4.3 Inconsistent updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.